Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
The Pugwash Factor:
How to Discern the Pope's Agenda for America
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“The Pugwash Factor: How to Discern the Pope’s Agenda for America”
- The Last Divine Appeal to the World
- Ellen White: “The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of [God’s] character of love.” (Christ’s Object Lessons 415)
- Pope Francis: “The proclamation of the saving love of God comes before moral and religious imperatives.” (My Door Is Always Open 58)
- Paul: “But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.” (Philippians 1:18)
- The First Papal Address to Congress
- “Today I would like not only to address you, but through you the entire people of the United States.” (http://time.com/4048176/pope-francis-us-visit-congress-transcript/)
- ““Yours is a work which makes me reflect in two ways on the figure of Moses. On the one hand, the patriarch and lawgiver of the people of Israel symbolizes the need of peoples to keep alive their sense of unity by means of just legislation. . . . Moses provides us with a good synthesis of your work: you are asked to protect, by means of the law, the image and likeness fashioned by God on every human face.” (Emphasis supplied)
- “I will end my visit to your country in Philadelphia, where I will take part in the World Meeting of Families. It is my wish that throughout my visit the family should be a recurrent theme. How essential the family has been to the building of this country! And how worthy it remains of our support and encouragement! Yet I cannot hide my concern for the family, which is threatened, perhaps as never before, from within and without.”
- The Last Prophecies to the Church
- Revelation 13
- Catechism of the Catholic Church #2188: “In respecting religious liberty and the common good of all, Christians should seek recognition of Sundays and the Church's holy days as legal holidays. They have to give everyone a public example of prayer, respect, and joy and defend their traditions as a precious contribution to the spiritual life of society.” (Emphasis supplied)
- Pope Francis: “The obsession with economic profit and technical efficiency puts the human rhythms of life at risk. Moments of rest, especially on Sunday, are sacred because in them we find God. . . . May we always recognize the family as the privileged place to understand, guide and sustain the gifts which arise from our celebrations, especially the Sunday Eucharist.” (http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2015/08/12/pope_francis_at_audience_cele...)
- Ellen White: “Let the principle once be established in the United States [the second power] that the church may employ or control the power of the state; that religious observances may be enforced by secular laws; in short, that the authority of church and state is to dominate the conscience, and the triumph of Rome [the first power] in this country [the second power] is assured.” (Great Controversy 581)
- “We did not follow cunningly devised fables . . . . [but] we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.” (2 Peter 1:16, 19)
- “I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe.” (John 14:29).
- “In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)
- “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me to give to every one according to his work.” (Revelation 22:12)
- “Even so, come Lord Jesus! The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.” (Revelation 22:20-21)
Our Grow Groups help you make new friends, be involved, and grow deeper in your relationship with God. Register to be a leader for your group today!
Thank you for all the kind words, cards, and flowers received in honor of their mother and grandmother, Joyce Juriansz. —Kurtz, Bailey, and Clayton families
"Ideas for Parenting in Today's Society" Topics include: Modern parenting challenges, the spiritual home, and taking care of yourself. All are welcome to attend.
January 19, 10:30 AM
Location: Pioneer Youth Chapel
A panel of four A.U. professors will discuss the topic "The Voices of Parents of LGBT+ Children: Their Journey and Process". All are invited to attend!
January 25, 3:30 PM
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University
For more events impacting our local university campus, please visit www.andrews.edu/agenda.
A playgroup for caregivers and their children ages 0-5. Come for stories, songs, crafts and playtime. Bring a friend!
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM
Location: Pioneer Nursery Room
Andrews Academy invites all ASM (Adventist Seniors of Michiana) members to come and enjoy a vegetarian meal, mini concert and student testimonials at Andrews Academy. We look forward to our time together.
January 26, 1:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
"I will put my trust in Him." Each of us has valuable resources and talents. One such resource is trust. Whom do we trust? How much do we trust? When do we trust? There is One that is the answer to each of those questions. Put your whole trust in Him: He will give you the power to be Faithful in All Things.
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for additional volunteers for its local audio and global television ministry. Members volunteer at least 1 time every 3 Sabbaths, for both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services. Must be at least a Junior in high school for these volunteer roles.