Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
- A fishing story
- Matthew 13:47-51
- The Big Fisherman to the little fishermen: “You must learn this lesson: you do the —I do the .”
- Three points
- Point #1—When the Gospel Net is let down it catches all of fish.
- Point #2—The fish (people) get separated at the the world.
- Point #3—The ones who do the sorting at the end of the world (in the Great Judgement) are the , not the .
- “Don’t be afraid—from now on you will fish for .” (Luke 5:10)
- Three anxiety relievers
- Anxiety Reliever #1—I don’t have to decide who gets “netted” for .
- Anxiety Reliever #2—I don’t have to decide who gets “netted” for .
- Anxiety Reliever #3—Because I don’t have to do the —all I need to do is the .
Jim Cymbala: “Christians often hesitate to reach out to those who are . They want God to clean the fish before they catch them. If someone’s gold ring is attached to an unusual body part, if the person doesn’t smell the best, or if the skin color is not the same, Christians tend to hesitate. But think for a moment about God reaching out to us. If ever there was a “reach,” that was it: the holy, pure Deity extending himself to us who were soiled, evil-hearted, unholy. God could have said, ‘You’re so different from me, so distasteful, I would really rather not get too close to you.’ But he didn’t say that. It was our very that drew his hand of love.” (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire: What Happens When God’s Spirit Invades the Hearts of His People 141)
- Ellen White: “[Christ] has not committed to us the work of judging character and motive. He knows our nature too well to entrust this work to us. Should we try to uproot from the church those whom we suppose to be spurious Christians, we should be sure to make mistakes. Often we regard as hopeless subjects the very ones whom Christ is drawing to Himself.” (Christ’s Object Lessons 71)
- How to fish for people
- Ask God at the beginning of every day to lead you to someone who needs what can offer.
- Ask God to help you make an to someone.
- “The Big Day” (September)
- “Unlocking Revelation (October)
- “God’s Boot Camp” (October)
- Ask God every morning to be at work in the lives of people you know who need Jesus.
- A story: “This is the smell of the world I died for.”
We do the fishing—He does the sorting
Our Grow Groups help you make new friends, be involved, and grow deeper in your relationship with God. Register to be a leader for your group today!
Thank you for all the kind words, cards, and flowers received in honor of their mother and grandmother, Joyce Juriansz. —Kurtz, Bailey, and Clayton families
"Ideas for Parenting in Today's Society" Topics include: Modern parenting challenges, the spiritual home, and taking care of yourself. All are welcome to attend.
January 19, 10:30 AM
Location: Pioneer Youth Chapel
A panel of four A.U. professors will discuss the topic "The Voices of Parents of LGBT+ Children: Their Journey and Process". All are invited to attend!
January 25, 3:30 PM
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University
For more events impacting our local university campus, please visit www.andrews.edu/agenda.
A playgroup for caregivers and their children ages 0-5. Come for stories, songs, crafts and playtime. Bring a friend!
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM
Location: Pioneer Nursery Room
Andrews Academy invites all ASM (Adventist Seniors of Michiana) members to come and enjoy a vegetarian meal, mini concert and student testimonials at Andrews Academy. We look forward to our time together.
January 26, 1:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
"I will put my trust in Him." Each of us has valuable resources and talents. One such resource is trust. Whom do we trust? How much do we trust? When do we trust? There is One that is the answer to each of those questions. Put your whole trust in Him: He will give you the power to be Faithful in All Things.
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for additional volunteers for its local audio and global television ministry. Members volunteer at least 1 time every 3 Sabbaths, for both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services. Must be at least a Junior in high school for these volunteer roles.