Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
2017 Holiday Season
In the Presence of a King, Don't Ask for Small Gifts
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"In the Presence of a King, Don’t Ask for Small Gifts"
- Gift #1
- Galatians 4:4-5
- Steps to Christ: "He who was one with God has linked Himself with the children of men by ties that are never to be broken. . . . When Christ took human nature upon Him, He bound humanity [us commoners] to Himself [the Royal] by a tie of love that can never be broken by any power save the choice of man himself." (14, 72)
- Carl Cosaert: "Adoption was a legally binding agreement that guaranteed a number of privileges: (1) the adopted son became the true son of his adoptive father; (2) the father agreed to provide all the necessities of food and clothing; (3) the adopted son could not be repudiated; (4) the adopted son could not be reduced to slavery; (5) the natural parents were never allowed to reclaim the adopted son; (6) and adoption mandated the right of inheritance." (Galatians: A Fiery Response to a Struggling Church 88)
- Gift #2
- Galatians 4:6-7
- John Witvliet: "Here are two missions, two gifts, two experiences of grace: God sent his Son, and then God sent the Spirit of his Son. The first gift arrived in Bethlehem. The second arrives deep within the souls of believers. The first Christmas gift came then and there. The second comes again and again in the here and now. Indeed, every single time anyone anywhere professes 'Jesus is Lord,' we can be grateful for the work of the Spirit (1 Cor. 12:3)." (Christianity Today December 2017 p58)
- Gregory Boyd: "My life is Christ—nothing else really matters" is essentially "My life is the Holy Spirit—nothing else really matters."
- Ellen White: "When the Spirit was poured out from on high, the church was flooded with light, but Christ was that Light; the church was filled with joy, but Christ was the subject of that joy. When the Spirit is poured upon His people in this day, Christ's name will be upon every tongue, His love will fill every soul; and when the heart embraces Jesus, it will embrace God; for all the fullness of God dwells in Christ." (Ye Shall Receive Power 332)
- Desire of Ages: "The whole treasury of heaven is open to those [the Father] seeks to save. Having collected the riches of the universe, and laid open the resources of infinite power, He gives them all into the hands of Christ, and says, All these are for man. Use these gifts to convince him that there is no love greater than Mine in earth or heaven. His greatest happiness will be found in loving Me." (57)
- Brennan Manning: "Everything has been given to us by the Father in Jesus. All we need now is to experience what we already possess." (Lion and Lamb 154)
- Every new morning—ask for Him: "Baptize me today, Lord Jesus, that I might be filled with Your Spirit. AMEN."
When you get the One, you get them Both.
Our Grow Groups help you make new friends, be involved, and grow deeper in your relationship with God. Register to be a leader for your group today!
Thank you for all the kind words, cards, and flowers received in honor of their mother and grandmother, Joyce Juriansz. —Kurtz, Bailey, and Clayton families
"Ideas for Parenting in Today's Society" Topics include: Modern parenting challenges, the spiritual home, and taking care of yourself. All are welcome to attend.
January 19, 10:30 AM
Location: Pioneer Youth Chapel
A panel of four A.U. professors will discuss the topic "The Voices of Parents of LGBT+ Children: Their Journey and Process". All are invited to attend!
January 25, 3:30 PM
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University
For more events impacting our local university campus, please visit www.andrews.edu/agenda.
A playgroup for caregivers and their children ages 0-5. Come for stories, songs, crafts and playtime. Bring a friend!
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM
Location: Pioneer Nursery Room
Andrews Academy invites all ASM (Adventist Seniors of Michiana) members to come and enjoy a vegetarian meal, mini concert and student testimonials at Andrews Academy. We look forward to our time together.
January 26, 1:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
"I will put my trust in Him." Each of us has valuable resources and talents. One such resource is trust. Whom do we trust? How much do we trust? When do we trust? There is One that is the answer to each of those questions. Put your whole trust in Him: He will give you the power to be Faithful in All Things.
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for additional volunteers for its local audio and global television ministry. Members volunteer at least 1 time every 3 Sabbaths, for both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services. Must be at least a Junior in high school for these volunteer roles.