Church is more than just a building; it's about people. Here at Pioneer Memorial Church, on the campus of Andrews University, we believe in helping transform this generation to be more like Jesus through 4 steps: Connect, Grow, Serve, Go.
Giving is a key part of worship here at Pioneer. As part of our weekly worship service, we collect tithes and offering. In addition, we also provide three online options to help you support our global denomination as well as our local church.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Ranko Stefanovic: “Because of its favorable location on the system of Roman roads, the city became one of the greatest commercial and financial centers of the ancient world.” (Revelation of Jesus Christ 144)
• Parallel #2—
• Parallel #3—
• Parallel #4—
• Roy Allen Anderson: “Valuable wool was produced in the valley, soft in texture, glossy black in color, but tinged as it were with violet. Black garments were worn almost exclusively by the Laodiceans as evidence of their wealth.” (Unfolding the Revelation 42)
• Parallel #5—
• Parallel #6—
• Jacques Doukhan: “Their mentality is but the symptom of a civilization that prides itself in its secularism and humanism while excluding God. . . . The human has usurped the divine on all levels.” (Secrets of Revelation 46)
• Parallel #7—
• Greek—”a people judged”
•Ellen White: “The Lord has done more for the United States than for any other country upon which the sun shines. . . . Here Christianity has progressed in its purity. . . . But the enemy of all righteousness has designs upon God’s purpose for this country. He will bring in enterprises that will lead men to forget that there is a God. Worldliness and covetousness, which is idolatry, will prevail through the working of the archdeceiver, till the law of God, in all its bearings, shall be made void.” (Maranatha 193)
• James Warren: “[Roger] Williams disavowed the Puritan’s cherished belief that their Holy Commonwealths were in a special covenant with God. There was no ‘chosen nation’ in the seventeenth century, nor had there been once since Moses’ Israel. Williams believed . . . that ‘since the coming of Christ the only way God had contracted with men . . . was through the churches of Christ. . . . Nobody of men who now employed force in defense of religion, whether at home or abroad, could claim the name Christian.’” (God, War and Providence 70-71)
• America is a Christian nation.
• Martin Luther King, Jr: “The church must be reminded that it is not the master or the servant of the state, but rather the of the state.”
• Jonathan Walton: “‘Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness’ are promised by America and God. But they are not the same in origin, practice, or motive. The goals and intentions of the Declaration of Independence sit in opposition to the gospel of Christ. The totality of Scripture does not endorse the marriage of God and country or the establishment, development, or practices of any country in the name of Jesus.” (Twelve Lies That Hold America Captive: And the Truth That Sets Us Free 18)
»So what hope is there for this nation?
•Revelation 14:6-7—”And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, having an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people; and he said with a loud voice, ‘Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters.’”
• Acts 4:12—”’Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved [than the name of Jesus].”
• John 4:42—”They said to the woman, ‘We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this Man really is the Savior of the world.’”
• Jon Meacham: “‘A bold President who knew himself to be supported by a majority in the country, might be tempted to override the law, and deprive the minority of the protection which the law affords it,’ [James] Bryce wrote. ‘He might be a tyrant, not against the masses, but with the masses.’” (The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels 271)
• America’s thought leaders need Liberty.
God save America—and let me help You!
Take a Break on Broadway
Join the Andrews University Department of Music Voice Students for a fantastic evening of Broadway greats! Wednesday, October 30th at 7:00 p.m. - Howard Performing Arts Center. Featuring moments from Hello Dolly, Kismet, Kiss Me, Kate, West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof, Porgy and Bess, Godspell, Oklahoma, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and more.
October 30, 2019 7:00 PM
Hundreds of used Adventist books, pamphlets, periodicals, Ellen White books, audio-visuals, and more on sale. The sale is conducted during the hours the Center is open (S: 1 - 5 pm, M-Tr: 9 am - 7 pm and F: 9 am -1 pm) and will run for about three or four weeks as long as materials last.
Begins: October 28, 2019, 9:00 AM
Location: Center for Adventist Research
Bring your papercrafting projects to 8450 M-139, Berrien Springs. Stay until 11 PM. Leave your projects on your table, and come back the next morning at 9 AM to continue to work on your projects. Prizes and chocolates provided. Bring your favorite snack. Small monetary donation requested. Questions, email@example.com.
October 26, 2019 6:00-11:00 PM
Location: Lake Union Conference Board Room
Don’t Miss Our Almost “Grand Opening”
While Renovate: Heart & House is not quite finished, come gather next Sabbath to praise God, to thank our renovation crews, and celebrate our Lord who promises to finish what he began! And don’t miss the two GenZer artists who will be displaying their creativity in both services: “A DIY Guide How to Paint Jesus: GenZ Eye Witness Account.” A Sabbath to remember.
October 26, 2019 9:00 AM
Woody and Peggy Whidden Celebrate 50th Wedding Anniversary
Come enjoy stories, songs, cake, and punch all to celebrate 50 years of love, commitment, and family. All are invited Saturday night, October 26 at 7:00 pm in the PMC commons. We request no gifts, and we welcome your presence.
October 26, 2019, 7:00PM
Location: PMC Commons
Sophomores Got Talent!
This Andrews Academy class of 2022 fundraiser will take place on Sunday afternoon, October 27 at 5pm at Andrews Academy. The first portion of the event will be CAFE CAIRO, an Egyptian-themed meal, followed by a talent show. Tickets are available from
any sophomore class member or at the Academy office.
27 October, 2019 5:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
Registration as been extended to Oct. 27 from 10 am to 11am at the pathfinder building. The date for the first meeting will be send out via email to all who have register. First part of registration is done on-line. The link can be found on the pathfinder page of the PMC website.
October 27, 2019, 10:00 AM-11:00 AM
Location: Pathfinder Building
Volunteers are needed to commit to one Sabbath a month to help with the flow of traffic during services. If interested or for more info call, text, or email Derrill at 732.379.1300 or legoh@ andrews.edu
Children's church continues today at 4pm at Andrews Academy! Free and open to all, especially K-5th grade kids! Bring a friend!
4:00 PM October 26, 2019
Location: Andrews Academy
Seriously Dating, Engaged, And Newlyweds, register now for an intensive weekend that will supercharge your relationship and help lay the foundation for a successful marriage.