Church is more than just a building; it's about people. Here at Pioneer Memorial Church, on the campus of Andrews University, we believe in helping transform this generation to be more like Jesus through 4 steps: Connect, Grow, Serve, Go.
Giving is a key part of worship here at Pioneer. As part of our weekly worship service, we collect tithes and offering. In addition, we also provide three online options to help you support our global denomination as well as our local church.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• The promise: You will sit with Me on My one day.
• The condition: You must first today.
• Sigve Tonstad: “Awareness of conflict changes the way we construe victory and defeat. While Jesus makes promises ‘to everyone who conquers,’ with no object in the sentence, the tenor of conflict is better preserved if we translate it ‘to everyone who overcomes .’ It is not wrong to say that the believers ‘overcome’ or ‘conquer,’ but it is implied throughout that they are engaged in a .”
• Revelation 12:7-9, 12, 17
• “If the curtain could be rolled back, and each one could discern the constant activities of the heavenly family to preserve the inhabitants of the earth from Satan’s seductive
wiles, . . . [t]hey would see that the armies of heaven are in continual warfare with satanic agencies, to obtain victories in behalf of those who do not sense their danger, and who are passing on in unconscious indifference. Angels are belting the world, refusing Satan his claims to supremacy. . . . We hear not the voices, we see not with the natural sight the work of these angels, but their hands are linked about the world, and with sleepless vigilance they are keeping the armies of Satan at bay.” (In Heavenly Places 98)
• “To the one who overcomes as I .”
• John 16:33— “‘In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have the world!’”
» Why don’t more Christians live victorious lives?
• Reason #1—We do not fully appreciate the sinfulness of .
• Vaughn Allen: “We do not realize how utterly detestable sin is; we do not comprehend how contrary sin is to God’s character and how terribly offensive it is to Him. We have lived with sin and its results so long and toyed with it so much that for us it has lost much of its horror and repugnance.” (The War Is Real: And So Is the Victory 71)
• Steps to Christ: “We shall not renounce sin unless we see its .” (23)
• Vaughn Allen: “The absolute horror of sin can be seen only when we look at the . It would be well for us each day to pray that God would give us a genuine abhorrence of sin and a for it because of what it did to the Son of God and because of what it does to us.” (71)
• Reason #2—We are not convinced that sin is possible in this life.
• Great Controversy: “If those who hide and excuse their faults could see how Satan exults over them, how he taunts Christ and holy angels with their course, they would make haste to confess their sins and to put them away. Through defects in the character, Satan works to gain control of the whole mind, and he knows that if these defects are cherished, he will succeed. Therefore he is constantly seeking to deceive the followers of Christ with his sophistry that it is impossible for them to overcome.” (489)
• Signs of the Times: “Without Christ we cannot subdue a single sin or overcome the smallest temptation.” (August 10, 1891)
• Jesus: “‘Without Me you can do nothing.’” John 15:5
• Philippians 4:13—“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
• Jude 24—“Now to Him who is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.
• Selected Messages: “He who has not sufficient faith in Christ to believe that He can keep him from , has not the faith that will give him an entrance into the kingdom of God.” (3:360)
• 1 John 2:1, 13-14; 5:3-4
• Revelation 3:20
• Before Jesus commands Laodicea to “ ” the devil, He invites us to “ ” the door.
• Selected Messages: “John pointed the people to the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world. He said, ‘Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.’ There is a great deal in that ‘taketh away.’ The question is, Shall we keep on sinning as though it were an impossibility for us to overcome? How are we to overcome? As Christ overcame, and that is the only way. He prayed to His heavenly Father. We can do the same....When tempted to speak wrong and do wrong resist Satan and say, I will not surrender my will to your control. I will cooperate with divine power and through grace be conqueror.” (3:195)
“Faith is the Victory”
Take a Break on Broadway
Join the Andrews University Department of Music Voice Students for a fantastic evening of Broadway greats! Wednesday, October 30th at 7:00 p.m. - Howard Performing Arts Center. Featuring moments from Hello Dolly, Kismet, Kiss Me, Kate, West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof, Porgy and Bess, Godspell, Oklahoma, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and more.
October 30, 2019 7:00 PM
Hundreds of used Adventist books, pamphlets, periodicals, Ellen White books, audio-visuals, and more on sale. The sale is conducted during the hours the Center is open (S: 1 - 5 pm, M-Tr: 9 am - 7 pm and F: 9 am -1 pm) and will run for about three or four weeks as long as materials last.
Begins: October 28, 2019, 9:00 AM
Location: Center for Adventist Research
Bring your papercrafting projects to 8450 M-139, Berrien Springs. Stay until 11 PM. Leave your projects on your table, and come back the next morning at 9 AM to continue to work on your projects. Prizes and chocolates provided. Bring your favorite snack. Small monetary donation requested. Questions, email@example.com.
October 26, 2019 6:00-11:00 PM
Location: Lake Union Conference Board Room
Don’t Miss Our Almost “Grand Opening”
While Renovate: Heart & House is not quite finished, come gather next Sabbath to praise God, to thank our renovation crews, and celebrate our Lord who promises to finish what he began! And don’t miss the two GenZer artists who will be displaying their creativity in both services: “A DIY Guide How to Paint Jesus: GenZ Eye Witness Account.” A Sabbath to remember.
October 26, 2019 9:00 AM
Woody and Peggy Whidden Celebrate 50th Wedding Anniversary
Come enjoy stories, songs, cake, and punch all to celebrate 50 years of love, commitment, and family. All are invited Saturday night, October 26 at 7:00 pm in the PMC commons. We request no gifts, and we welcome your presence.
October 26, 2019, 7:00PM
Location: PMC Commons
Sophomores Got Talent!
This Andrews Academy class of 2022 fundraiser will take place on Sunday afternoon, October 27 at 5pm at Andrews Academy. The first portion of the event will be CAFE CAIRO, an Egyptian-themed meal, followed by a talent show. Tickets are available from
any sophomore class member or at the Academy office.
27 October, 2019 5:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
Registration as been extended to Oct. 27 from 10 am to 11am at the pathfinder building. The date for the first meeting will be send out via email to all who have register. First part of registration is done on-line. The link can be found on the pathfinder page of the PMC website.
October 27, 2019, 10:00 AM-11:00 AM
Location: Pathfinder Building
Volunteers are needed to commit to one Sabbath a month to help with the flow of traffic during services. If interested or for more info call, text, or email Derrill at 732.379.1300 or legoh@ andrews.edu
Children's church continues today at 4pm at Andrews Academy! Free and open to all, especially K-5th grade kids! Bring a friend!
4:00 PM October 26, 2019
Location: Andrews Academy
Seriously Dating, Engaged, And Newlyweds, register now for an intensive weekend that will supercharge your relationship and help lay the foundation for a successful marriage.