Church is more than just a building; it's about people. Here at Pioneer Memorial Church, on the campus of Andrews University, we believe in helping transform this generation to be more like Jesus through 4 steps: Connect, Grow, Serve, Go.
Giving is a key part of worship here at Pioneer. As part of our weekly worship service, we collect tithes and offering. In addition, we also provide three online options to help you support our global denomination as well as our local church.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Headline: “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of . Life does not consist in an of possessions.” (v 15)
• “Another [happiness] factor is what positive psychologists refer to as the ‘ [pleasure-seeking] treadmill.’ Through the same process of habituation [decrease in our response to a stimulus after being repeatedly exposed to it], the happiness associated with a new purchase, a new job, or a new house soon fades. Trying to recapture and retain feelings of excitement and happiness results in the pursuit of more new things, which becomes a never-ending task, like being on a continuous treadmill.” (www.happify.com/hd/can-money-ever-buy-you-happiness/)
• Tagline: “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for but is not toward God.” (v 21)
• Investopedia: “According to the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2018, the top percent of adults account for more than 47 percent of household wealth globally. This raises an interesting question: Who exactly are the percent worldwide? The surprising answer: If you’re an American, you don’t have to even be close to being uber-rich to make the list. . . . An income of $ a year will allow you to make the cut. . . . So if you’re an accountant, a registered nurse or even an elementary school teacher, congratulations. The average wage for any of these careers falls well within the top percent worldwide.” (www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050615/are-you-top-one-pe...)
•Punchline: When you combine the headline to Jesus’ parable with the tagline of His parable, you very quickly come to His punchline: !
• Ed Gungor: “ touches a nerve in us that nothing else does. We look a lot like God when we do it [John 3:16]. When you , you defy the fear that you won’t have enough. You insult , the impulse to acquire or possess more than one needs or deserves. If you really believe that God owns it all and that he is your source and provider, will be a simple matter. . . . The arena of is the only place where exactly what’s going on in your heart is revealed. According to Jesus, keeps your heart in motion toward God and away from material things. . . . Your heart will follow the direction of your .” (Religiously Transmitted Diseases)
• Luke 12:32-34.
• Ellen White: “Let us surrender ourselves a living sacrifice, and our all to Jesus. It is His; we are His purchased possession. Those who are recipients of His grace, who contemplate the cross of Calvary, will not question concerning the proportion to be given, but will feel that the richest offering is all too meager, all disproportionate to the great of the only-begotten Son of the infinite God. Through self-denial, the poorest will find ways of obtaining something to to God.” (RH July 14, 1896)
• Be rich toward the God who’s been rich toward you.
The AU Wind Symphony Fall Concert is presented in collaboration with the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary and the Lake Union Conference as part of the “Jesus & Politics” conference on religious liberty. This will be an evening of music, readings and poetry reflecting on the blessings and challenges of civil and religious liberty. Come join us as we explore both the ideals and shortcomings of liberty and justice in our world.
October 19, 2019, 8:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Sophomores Got Talent!
This Andrews Academy class of 2022 fundraiser will take place on Sunday afternoon, October 27 at 5pm at Andrews Academy. The first portion of the event will be CAFE CAIRO, an Egyptian-themed meal, followed by a talent show. Tickets are available from
any sophomore class member or at the Academy office.
27 October, 2019 5:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
The 2019-2020 pathfinder year is about to begin. Registration is done on-line, can be found on the pathfinder page of the PMC website. Just click the registration link. Then come by the pathfinder building on Oct 9 or 16 between 6:30 -7:30 pm to finish the registration process.
October 9 & 16, 2019, 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Location: Pathfinder Building
It’s that time of the year again! Join us and have fun with your friends and family on the hayride! Hot dogs, veggies, chips, s’mores, and beverages will be served.
5:30-7:30 PM Sunday October 20, 2019
Location: Five Pines Ministries, 6597 Smith Rd. Berrien Center
Committed was founded in 2003, and the group solidified their sound while at school together at Oakwood University in Huntsville, AL. It has been their strong faith, hard work and creativity that has gotten them to the point of being called one of the nation’s top ten a cappella groups.
7:00 PM October 13
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Volunteers are needed to commit to one Sabbath a month to help with the flow of traffic during services. If interested or for more info call, text, or email Derrill at 732.379.1300 or legoh@ andrews.edu
Seriously Dating, Engaged, And Newlyweds, register now for an intensive weekend that will supercharge your relationship and help lay the foundation for a successful marriage.
PMC Prayer Ministry Team Seeking New Members
Please join our PMC Prayer Ministry Team by volunteering to pray with us during 1st or 2nd service on available Sabbaths. We need you to help us intensify and grow this ministry. For more information contact Andrea Gibbs.