Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
How to Survive the Coming Economic Crisis
If I Were a Rich Man
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“How to Survive the Coming Economic Crisis:
If I Were a Rich Man”
»3 Short Stories
• Luke 12:13-21
• Headline: “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of . Life does not consist in an of possessions.” (v 15)
• “Another [happiness] factor is what positive psychologists refer to as the ‘ [pleasure-seeking] treadmill.’ Through the same process of habituation [decrease in our response to a stimulus after being repeatedly exposed to it], the happiness associated with a new purchase, a new job, or a new house soon fades. Trying to recapture and retain feelings of excitement and happiness results in the pursuit of more new things, which becomes a never-ending task, like being on a continuous treadmill.” (www.happify.com/hd/can-money-ever-buy-you-happiness/)
• Tagline: “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for but is not toward God.” (v 21)
• Investopedia: “According to the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2018, the top percent of adults account for more than 47 percent of household wealth globally. This raises an interesting question: Who exactly are the percent worldwide? The surprising answer: If you’re an American, you don’t have to even be close to being uber-rich to make the list. . . . An income of $ a year will allow you to make the cut. . . . So if you’re an accountant, a registered nurse or even an elementary school teacher, congratulations. The average wage for any of these careers falls well within the top percent worldwide.” (www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050615/are-you-top-one-pe...)
•Punchline: When you combine the headline to Jesus’ parable with the tagline of His parable, you very quickly come to His punchline: !
• Ed Gungor: “ touches a nerve in us that nothing else does. We look a lot like God when we do it [John 3:16]. When you , you defy the fear that you won’t have enough. You insult , the impulse to acquire or possess more than one needs or deserves. If you really believe that God owns it all and that he is your source and provider, will be a simple matter. . . . The arena of is the only place where exactly what’s going on in your heart is revealed. According to Jesus, keeps your heart in motion toward God and away from material things. . . . Your heart will follow the direction of your .” (Religiously Transmitted Diseases)
• Luke 12:32-34.
• Ellen White: “Let us surrender ourselves a living sacrifice, and our all to Jesus. It is His; we are His purchased possession. Those who are recipients of His grace, who contemplate the cross of Calvary, will not question concerning the proportion to be given, but will feel that the richest offering is all too meager, all disproportionate to the great of the only-begotten Son of the infinite God. Through self-denial, the poorest will find ways of obtaining something to to God.” (RH July 14, 1896)
• Be rich toward the God who’s been rich toward you.
"Be rich toward God"
Our Grow Groups help you make new friends, be involved, and grow deeper in your relationship with God. Register to be a leader for your group today!
Thank you for all the kind words, cards, and flowers received in honor of their mother and grandmother, Joyce Juriansz. —Kurtz, Bailey, and Clayton families
"Ideas for Parenting in Today's Society" Topics include: Modern parenting challenges, the spiritual home, and taking care of yourself. All are welcome to attend.
January 19, 10:30 AM
Location: Pioneer Youth Chapel
A panel of four A.U. professors will discuss the topic "The Voices of Parents of LGBT+ Children: Their Journey and Process". All are invited to attend!
January 25, 3:30 PM
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University
For more events impacting our local university campus, please visit www.andrews.edu/agenda.
A playgroup for caregivers and their children ages 0-5. Come for stories, songs, crafts and playtime. Bring a friend!
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM
Location: Pioneer Nursery Room
Andrews Academy invites all ASM (Adventist Seniors of Michiana) members to come and enjoy a vegetarian meal, mini concert and student testimonials at Andrews Academy. We look forward to our time together.
January 26, 1:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
"I will put my trust in Him." Each of us has valuable resources and talents. One such resource is trust. Whom do we trust? How much do we trust? When do we trust? There is One that is the answer to each of those questions. Put your whole trust in Him: He will give you the power to be Faithful in All Things.
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for additional volunteers for its local audio and global television ministry. Members volunteer at least 1 time every 3 Sabbaths, for both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services. Must be at least a Junior in high school for these volunteer roles.