Church is more than just a building; it's about people. Here at Pioneer Memorial Church, on the campus of Andrews University, we believe in helping transform this generation to be more like Jesus through 4 steps: Connect, Grow, Serve, Go.
Your financial gift helps support ministry here at Pioneer. From local to global ministry, keeping our facility safe and clean, to outreach and family growth activities, it all provides a space to worship, learn, and grow together. We invite you to Give Purposefully, Give Regularly, and Give Joyfully.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• #1—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to share the . (Financial benefit)
- “Research has shown the financial benefits of marriage. Long-term marriage offers a 77% better rate of return than staying single and total wealth of married persons increases 16% year over year. In other words, the you are married, the more money you make. . . . [I]f this was the reported returns on a stock growth fund, we’d all be jumping in.” (www.moneyunder30.com/financial-benefits-of-marriage)
• #2—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Emotional benefit)
• #3—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to keep you . (Physical benefit)
• #4—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Security benefit)
» A great love story most have never heard . . .
- C. S. Lewis: “We feasted on love; every mode of it, solemn and merry, romantic and realistic, sometimes as dramatic as a thunderstorm, sometimes comfortable and unemphatic as putting on your soft slippers. She was my pupil and my teacher, my subject and my sovereign, my trusty comrade, friend, shipmate, fellow-soldier. My mistress, but at the same time all that any man friend has ever been to me.” (Quoted in Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts 142)
- Les and Leslie Parrott: “If there is a lesson to be gained from this amazing love story, it must be that partners without a spiritual depth of oneness can never compete with the fullness of love that enjoy. Marriage, when it is healthy, has a mystical way of revealing God; a way of bringing a smiling peace to our restless hearts.” (142)
» The third strand
• Jeremiah 9:24—“Let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know [yada] me, that I am the LORD.”
• Genesis 4:1—“Adam made love [yada] to his wife Eve, and she became pregnant.”
• God takes the same word for “making love” [yada] and declares “That’s what I want in a relationship with you—the between a husband and a wife—I want you to know me like Adam knew Eve.”
• Alan McGinnis: “There can be no intimacy without .” (The Friendship Factor 105)
• Alice Fryling: “[Sex] is an expression of intimacy, not the to intimacy. True intimacy springs from verbal and emotional communion. True intimacy is built on a commitment to honesty, love and freedom. True intimacy is not primarily a sexual encounter. Intimacy, in fact, has almost nothing to do with our organs. A prostitute may expose her body, but her relationships are hardly intimate.” (www.focusonthefamily.com/faith/three-lies-about-premarital-sex/)
• Don’t miss Adventist Engaged Encounter with Jeff/Twyla Smith (Nov 1-3).
• Ecclesiastes 4:12—“A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”
- The Third Strand—Proverbs 18:24/John 15:13-14
- #1 Felt Need—How to grow a relationship with God
The season is upon us. Come celebrate with us. PMC Annual Christmas Breakfast in Church will be on December 21, 2019 at 9:00 AM – 10:15 AM
Bring your favorite breakfast items.
A – G – bread, muffin or pastries
H – P – breakfast casserole or hot/cold cereal
Q – Z – fruits
PMC will provide hot and cold drinks and nuts.
Feast of Lights
Andrews Academy will be presenting the 48th annual Feast of Lights program. The community is invited to attend this spectacular night of music, Scripture and drama honoring the King of Kings. It is an evening of lights, bells, instruments, choral singing, congregational singing, shepherds, a Nativity scene, and the retelling of a glorious Christmas story. Chorale and Orchestra will end the program with four choruses from Handel's Messiah including the Hallelujah chorus at the end. The church sidewalks will be arrayed in Christmas lighting. The program will speak to your hearts of His wondrous love. All are invited to attend this free program held at Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University.
December 13, 2019, 7:00 PM
PMC Christmas Angel Tree
Brighten the Christmas season and bring smile to struggling families, please stop by the Christmas Angel Tree located at the Welcome Center downstairs and at the Narthex. Choose an angel from the tree, you can either give donation (money, gift card, food, toys, etc) or buy a gift for them. You may bring your gift with the angel attached to it to PMC on or before December 23 (Monday)
Nathan Greene Art Studio Christmas Open House
Please join us at the Nathan Greene Art Studio Christmas Openhouse on Sunday, December 8 & 15, 2019, from 12 pm to 6 pm. Prints and puzzles will be available for purchase and signing by Nathan. Also featuring Artist, Bonnie Greene Le Blanc and Bladesmith, Daniel Greene. Hope to see you there!
Studio location: 8458 Painter School Road, Berrien Center, MI.
For more info call 269-313-1179
Join us in collecting toys for families that need some extra kindness during this holiday season. Bring a new, unwrapped toy to the church on December 14 to be collected during our children's Celebration of Christmas.
Nominating Committee Name Change Board Vote
The PMC Board voted on Nov. 11 to follow the recommendation of David Nowack, the Nominating Committee chair, to change the name of the Nominating Committee: it is now the Volunteer Engagement Committee or VEC for short. The change is the result of consultations with the pastoral staff and others to create a name that reflects the actions of the Committee and make it more understandable for the visitor, guest or new member.
Our United Cry
Adventist Retirees Christmas Banquet
Senior members of the Pioneer Memorial Church are invited to a Christmas Banquet in the Fellowship Hall of the Village Seventh-day Adventist Church on Sunday December 15, at 1:00 PM. Reservations must be made by calling the Village Church at 269.471.7795 by December 8. Please provide the name(s) who will be attending, contact number and indicate your church affiliation.
December 15, 1:00 PM
Location: Village SDA Church
Children's Ministry Resource Center needs costumers.
The PMC Children's Ministry Resource Center is looking for a Costume Coordinator and a Costume Garment Maker/Repairer. These volunteer positions are flexible to suit individual time available. Contact Debi Robertson, 269-470-2690.
AU Passion Play Seeking Actors
The Andrews University Passion Play is returning to campus on April 11, 2020! Anyone interested in acting is encouraged to sign up on the website: passionplay.andrews.edu. Additionally, interested volunteers may contact the Drama Director Katharina Burghardt for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please join us in telling Jesus' story this Easter!