Church is more than just a building; it's about people. Here at Pioneer Memorial Church, on the campus of Andrews University, we believe in helping transform this generation to be more like Jesus through 4 steps: Connect, Grow, Serve, Go.
Giving is a key part of worship here at Pioneer. As part of our weekly worship service, we collect tithes and offering. In addition, we also provide three online options to help you support our global denomination as well as our local church.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• #1—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to share the . (Financial benefit)
- “Research has shown the financial benefits of marriage. Long-term marriage offers a 77% better rate of return than staying single and total wealth of married persons increases 16% year over year. In other words, the you are married, the more money you make. . . . [I]f this was the reported returns on a stock growth fund, we’d all be jumping in.” (www.moneyunder30.com/financial-benefits-of-marriage)
• #2—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Emotional benefit)
• #3—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to keep you . (Physical benefit)
• #4—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Security benefit)
» A great love story most have never heard . . .
- C. S. Lewis: “We feasted on love; every mode of it, solemn and merry, romantic and realistic, sometimes as dramatic as a thunderstorm, sometimes comfortable and unemphatic as putting on your soft slippers. She was my pupil and my teacher, my subject and my sovereign, my trusty comrade, friend, shipmate, fellow-soldier. My mistress, but at the same time all that any man friend has ever been to me.” (Quoted in Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts 142)
- Les and Leslie Parrott: “If there is a lesson to be gained from this amazing love story, it must be that partners without a spiritual depth of oneness can never compete with the fullness of love that enjoy. Marriage, when it is healthy, has a mystical way of revealing God; a way of bringing a smiling peace to our restless hearts.” (142)
» The third strand
• Jeremiah 9:24—“Let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know [yada] me, that I am the LORD.”
• Genesis 4:1—“Adam made love [yada] to his wife Eve, and she became pregnant.”
• God takes the same word for “making love” [yada] and declares “That’s what I want in a relationship with you—the between a husband and a wife—I want you to know me like Adam knew Eve.”
• Alan McGinnis: “There can be no intimacy without .” (The Friendship Factor 105)
• Alice Fryling: “[Sex] is an expression of intimacy, not the to intimacy. True intimacy springs from verbal and emotional communion. True intimacy is built on a commitment to honesty, love and freedom. True intimacy is not primarily a sexual encounter. Intimacy, in fact, has almost nothing to do with our organs. A prostitute may expose her body, but her relationships are hardly intimate.” (www.focusonthefamily.com/faith/three-lies-about-premarital-sex/)
• Don’t miss Adventist Engaged Encounter with Jeff/Twyla Smith (Nov 1-3).
• Ecclesiastes 4:12—“A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”
- The Third Strand—Proverbs 18:24/John 15:13-14
- #1 Felt Need—How to grow a relationship with God
Hundreds of used Adventist books, pamphlets, periodicals, Ellen White books, audio-visuals, and more on sale. The sale is conducted during the hours the Center is open (S: 1 - 5 pm, M-Tr: 9 am - 7 pm and F: 9 am -1 pm) and will run for about three or four weeks as long as materials last.
Begins: October 28, 2019, 9:00 AM
Location: Center for Adventist Research
Bring your papercrafting projects to 8450 M-139, Berrien Springs. Stay until 11 PM. Leave your projects on your table, and come back the next morning at 9 AM to continue to work on your projects. Prizes and chocolates provided. Bring your favorite snack. Small monetary donation requested. Questions, email@example.com.
October 26, 2019 6:00-11:00 PM
Location: Lake Union Conference Board Room
Don’t Miss Our Almost “Grand Opening”
While Renovate: Heart & House is not quite finished, come gather next Sabbath to praise God, to thank our renovation crews, and celebrate our Lord who promises to finish what he began! And don’t miss the two GenZer artists who will be displaying their creativity in both services: “A DIY Guide How to Paint Jesus: GenZ Eye Witness Account.” A Sabbath to remember.
October 26, 2019 9:00 AM
Woody and Peggy Whidden Celebrate 50th Wedding Anniversary
Come enjoy stories, songs, cake, and punch all to celebrate 50 years of love, commitment, and family. All are invited Saturday night, October 26 at 7:00 pm in the PMC commons. We request no gifts, and we welcome your presence.
October 26, 2019, 7:00PM
Location: PMC Commons
Girls of Mercy Audition
PMC Girls of Mercy Auditions, Sunday, 6-7 PM, Teen Loft.
October 20, 2019, 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Location: Teen Loft
With Liberty & Justice for All
The AU Wind Symphony Fall Concert is presented in collaboration with the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary and the Lake Union Conference as part of the “Jesus & Politics” conference on religious liberty. This will be an evening of music, readings and poetry reflecting on the blessings and challenges of civil and religious liberty. Come join us as we explore both the ideals and shortcomings of liberty and justice in our world.
October 19, 2019, 8:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Sophomores Got Talent!
This Andrews Academy class of 2022 fundraiser will take place on Sunday afternoon, October 27 at 5pm at Andrews Academy. The first portion of the event will be CAFE CAIRO, an Egyptian-themed meal, followed by a talent show. Tickets are available from
any sophomore class member or at the Academy office.
27 October, 2019 5:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
Registration as been extended to Oct. 27 from 10 am to 11am at the pathfinder building. The date for the first meeting will be send out via email to all who have register. First part of registration is done on-line. The link can be found on the pathfinder page of the PMC website.
October 27, 2019, 10:00 AM-11:00 AM
Location: Pathfinder Building
It’s that time of the year again! Join us and have fun with your friends and family on the hayride! Hot dogs, veggies, chips, s’mores, and beverages will be served.
5:30-7:30 PM Sunday October 20, 2019
Location: Five Pines Ministries, 6597 Smith Rd. Berrien Center
Volunteers are needed to commit to one Sabbath a month to help with the flow of traffic during services. If interested or for more info call, text, or email Derrill at 732.379.1300 or legoh@ andrews.edu