Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
□ The Commission: Seven Versions
- Mark 16:15—“ into the world and preach the gospel to creation.”
Matthew 28:19—“ and make disciples of nations, baptizing them in the
name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
- Clark Pinnock: “The triune God is a God. The Father sends the Son
- and the Spirit into the world (Gal 4:4-6). His heart reaches out to embrace it. He gives himself up in becoming human and thus moves history toward redemption. Here is the basis for the unity of humankind and the salvation of the world.” (A Wideness in God’s Mercy: The Finality of Jesus Christ in a World of Religions 78)
- Luke 24:47, 48—“Repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in [My] name to nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are of these things.”
- John 20:21—“As the Father has Me, I am you.”
Acts 1:8—“You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be
My in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the
Paul—“I [Christ Jesus] am you to [the pagans], to open their eyes and turn
them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God.” (Acts 26:17, 18)
The Great Commission of the Old Testament—“I [the LORD] will make you a light for the
, that My salvation may reach to the ends of the .” (Isaiah 49:6/Acts 13:47)
God is clearly SOLD OUT on my becoming a to the world!
□ The Commission: Four Common Denominators
- David Platt: “Must we insist on dividing the Great Commission into an either-or proposition? Who told us that we had to choose to have a heart for the United States or
- a heart for the world? . . . Because from cover to cover the Bible teaches that the church—not just select individuals, but the church—is created to reflect the glory of God to the world.” (Radical 76, 77)
Clark Pinnock: “Of the two axioms underlying the theology of religions, the first
consists of the boundless of God which makes possible an optimism of salvation; the second axiom consists of the finality of as the decisive manifestation and ground of God’s grace toward sinners . . . . This means that universality (salvation for the world) is reached by way of particularity (salvation through Jesus) in Christianity.” (A Wideness in God’s Mercy 49)
- John Stott: “I have never been able to conjure up (as some great evangelical missionaries have) the appalling vision of the millions who are not only perishing but who will inevitably perish. On the other hand, as I have said, I cannot be a universalist. Between these extremes I cherish the hope that the of the human race will be saved.” (quoted in Pinnock 35)
- Jesus: “And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw people to Me.” (John 12:32)
- Clark Pinnock: “Of the two axioms underlying the theology of religions, the first
- Thus the Great Commission is a - —i.e, it is not a mission you do by yourself, but rather it is a mission you do Jesus.
- Christ’s Object Lessons: “At the foot of the cross, remembering that for sinner Christ would have laid down His life, you may estimate the value of a soul.” (196)
- Messages to Young People: “His death ought to stir every fiber of the being, making us willing to consecrate to His work that we have and are.” (315)
Will you GO GLOBAL with the GOSPEL for GOD?
Our Grow Groups help you make new friends, be involved, and grow deeper in your relationship with God. Register to be a leader for your group today!
Thank you for all the kind words, cards, and flowers received in honor of their mother and grandmother, Joyce Juriansz. —Kurtz, Bailey, and Clayton families
"Ideas for Parenting in Today's Society" Topics include: Modern parenting challenges, the spiritual home, and taking care of yourself. All are welcome to attend.
January 19, 10:30 AM
Location: Pioneer Youth Chapel
A panel of four A.U. professors will discuss the topic "The Voices of Parents of LGBT+ Children: Their Journey and Process". All are invited to attend!
January 25, 3:30 PM
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University
For more events impacting our local university campus, please visit www.andrews.edu/agenda.
A playgroup for caregivers and their children ages 0-5. Come for stories, songs, crafts and playtime. Bring a friend!
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM
Location: Pioneer Nursery Room
Andrews Academy invites all ASM (Adventist Seniors of Michiana) members to come and enjoy a vegetarian meal, mini concert and student testimonials at Andrews Academy. We look forward to our time together.
January 26, 1:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
"I will put my trust in Him." Each of us has valuable resources and talents. One such resource is trust. Whom do we trust? How much do we trust? When do we trust? There is One that is the answer to each of those questions. Put your whole trust in Him: He will give you the power to be Faithful in All Things.
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for additional volunteers for its local audio and global television ministry. Members volunteer at least 1 time every 3 Sabbaths, for both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services. Must be at least a Junior in high school for these volunteer roles.