Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat:"
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat: Longue Durée”
- Genesis 50:15-20
- “The you planned to do to me has by God’s design been turned to .” (Genesis 50:20 New Jerusalem Bible)
- “And we know that God causes to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” (Romans 8:28 New Living Translation)
- Thomas Schreiner: “The text does not say that all things are intrinsically good or pleasant, but instead that the most agonizing sufferings and evils inflicted on believers [those who trust God] will be to their good by God. It is correct to say, then, that agathon [GK: “good”] is eschatological, since the ‘good’ will be evident and fully realized only at the end of time.” (Romans 450)
- God has the capacity to everything (no matter how evil, no matter how long) to mysteriously work together ultimately for our !
- John R. W. Stott: “‘Thus all that is negative in this life is seen to have a positive purpose in the execution of God’s eternal plan.’ is beyond the overruling, overriding scope of his providence.” “We do not always understand what God is doing, let alone welcome it. Nor are we told that he is at work for our comfort. But we know that in all things he is working towards our .” (Romans 247, 248)
- The longue durée (French for “long term”) concept of history
- The six last words of God
- No matter what happens to you in this life, remember that God’s last word is this: “ .”
- God can turn the for you into the for you.
- God can get from your “” to His “”.
- For He is El Shaddai, the (Genesis 48:3).
- In the suffering death of Jesus, God took the of the very worst and turned it into the of the very best.
- Ellen White: “All that has perplexed us in the providences of God will in the world to come be made plain. The things hard to be understood will then find explanation. The mysteries of grace will unfold before us. Where our finite minds discovered only confusion and broken promises, we shall see the most perfect and beautiful harmony. We shall know that infinite love ordered the experiences that seemed most trying. As we realize the tender care of Him who makes all things work together for our good, we shall rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory.” (9T 286 emphasis supplied)
- Walter Bruggemann: “The riddle and insight of biblical faith is that only anguish leads to life, only grieving leads to joy, and only embraced endings permit new beginnings.” (Prophetic Imagination 56)
“I can get there from here”
Our Grow Groups help you make new friends, be involved, and grow deeper in your relationship with God. Register to be a leader for your group today!
Thank you for all the kind words, cards, and flowers received in honor of their mother and grandmother, Joyce Juriansz. —Kurtz, Bailey, and Clayton families
"Ideas for Parenting in Today's Society" Topics include: Modern parenting challenges, the spiritual home, and taking care of yourself. All are welcome to attend.
January 19, 10:30 AM
Location: Pioneer Youth Chapel
A panel of four A.U. professors will discuss the topic "The Voices of Parents of LGBT+ Children: Their Journey and Process". All are invited to attend!
January 25, 3:30 PM
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University
For more events impacting our local university campus, please visit www.andrews.edu/agenda.
A playgroup for caregivers and their children ages 0-5. Come for stories, songs, crafts and playtime. Bring a friend!
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM
Location: Pioneer Nursery Room
Andrews Academy invites all ASM (Adventist Seniors of Michiana) members to come and enjoy a vegetarian meal, mini concert and student testimonials at Andrews Academy. We look forward to our time together.
January 26, 1:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
"I will put my trust in Him." Each of us has valuable resources and talents. One such resource is trust. Whom do we trust? How much do we trust? When do we trust? There is One that is the answer to each of those questions. Put your whole trust in Him: He will give you the power to be Faithful in All Things.
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for additional volunteers for its local audio and global television ministry. Members volunteer at least 1 time every 3 Sabbaths, for both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services. Must be at least a Junior in high school for these volunteer roles.