Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
Ground Zero and the New Reformation
How to Be Baptized with the Holy Spirit - Part 1
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"Ground Zero and the New Reformation:
How to Be Baptized with the Holy Spirit"—1
- The Red Letter Truth of the Holy Spirit
- John 16:5-7—The Holy Spirit will take place with us.
- John 14:16-18—The Holy Spirit will bring presence into us.
- John 14:26—The Holy Spirit will teach truths to us.
- John 15:26—The Holy Spirit will speak testimony through us.
- J. I. Packer, Keep in Step with the Spirit: Finding Fullness in Our Walk with God: "The Spirit’s message to us is never 'Look at me; listen to me; come to me; get to know me' but always 'Look at Him, and see His glory; listen to Him, and hear His word; go to Him, and have life; get to know Him, and taste His gift of joy and peace.' The Spirit, we might say, is the matchmaker, the celestial marriage broker, whose role it is to bring us and Christ together and ensure that we together." (Quoted in Frank Hasel, "The Holy Spirit and Spirituality," Jan-Mar 2017 SS Study Guide p 18)
- Desire of Ages: "The Holy Spirit is Christ’s representative, but divested of the personality of humanity, and independent thereof. Cumbered with humanity, Christ could not be in every place personally. Therefore it was for their interest that He should go to the Father, and send the Spirit to be His successor on earth. No one could then have any advantage because of his location or his personal contact with Christ. By the Spirit the Saviour would be accessible to all. In this sense He would be to them than if He had not ascended on high." (669)
The Luke 11 Truth of the Holy Spirit
Luke 11:1-4—7 petitions in the Lord’s Prayer—you get the idea that God really loves it when we Him for what we’d like, for what we want, for what we need!
Luke 11:5-8—Because it’s only when we realize we have that we are ripe and ready for the God has for us.
Luke 11:8—"... yet because of your he will surely get up and give you as much as you ."
Desire of Ages: "This promised blessing [the Holy Spirit], claimed by faith, brings other blessings in its train. It is given according to the riches of the grace of Christ, and He is ready to supply every soul according to the capacity to receive." (672)
Ellen White: "With the reception of this gift [the Holy Spirit], other gifts would be ours; for we are to have this gift according to the plentitude of the riches of the grace of Christ, and He is ready to supply every soul according to the capacity to receive." (Ye Shall Receive Power 221)
Luke 11:13—"... how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who [keep on asking/ ] ask Him."
Ellen White: "Morning by morning [Jesus] communicated with His Father in heaven, receiving from Him a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit." (Signs of the Times November 21, 1895)
Acts of the Apostles: "To the consecrated [follower of Jesus] there is wonderful consolation in the knowledge that even Christ during His life on earth sought His Father for fresh supplies of needed grace." (56)
Christ’s Object Lessons: "Our prayers are to be as earnest and persistent as was the petition of the needy friend who asked for the loaves at midnight. The more earnestly and steadfastly we ask, the will be our spiritual union with Christ." (146)
- For a PDF of Helmut Haubeil’s Steps to Personal Revival: Being Filled with the Holy Spirit click here.
“He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” — Luke 3:16
For study guide answers download the Study Guide PDF
Our Grow Groups help you make new friends, be involved, and grow deeper in your relationship with God. Register to be a leader for your group today!
Thank you for all the kind words, cards, and flowers received in honor of their mother and grandmother, Joyce Juriansz. —Kurtz, Bailey, and Clayton families
"Ideas for Parenting in Today's Society" Topics include: Modern parenting challenges, the spiritual home, and taking care of yourself. All are welcome to attend.
January 19, 10:30 AM
Location: Pioneer Youth Chapel
A panel of four A.U. professors will discuss the topic "The Voices of Parents of LGBT+ Children: Their Journey and Process". All are invited to attend!
January 25, 3:30 PM
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University
For more events impacting our local university campus, please visit www.andrews.edu/agenda.
A playgroup for caregivers and their children ages 0-5. Come for stories, songs, crafts and playtime. Bring a friend!
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM
Location: Pioneer Nursery Room
Andrews Academy invites all ASM (Adventist Seniors of Michiana) members to come and enjoy a vegetarian meal, mini concert and student testimonials at Andrews Academy. We look forward to our time together.
January 26, 1:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
"I will put my trust in Him." Each of us has valuable resources and talents. One such resource is trust. Whom do we trust? How much do we trust? When do we trust? There is One that is the answer to each of those questions. Put your whole trust in Him: He will give you the power to be Faithful in All Things.
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for additional volunteers for its local audio and global television ministry. Members volunteer at least 1 time every 3 Sabbaths, for both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services. Must be at least a Junior in high school for these volunteer roles.