Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
Ground Zero and the New Reformation
How to Be Baptized with the Holy Spirit - Part 2
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"Ground Zero and the New Reformation:
How to Be Baptized with the Holy Spirit"—2
Jesus—"If you then who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him [GK—continually]."
"Morning by morning [Jesus] communicated with His Father in heaven, receiving from Him daily a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit."
(Signs of the Times November 21, 1895)
- One Story
- Matthew 25:1-13
- Helmut Haubeil: "The lamps of the foolish virgins that only burned for a short time show us that they did have something from the Holy Spirit. But it wasn’t enough. There was too little oil. That was the difference." (Steps to Personal Revival: Being Filled with the Holy Spirit 33)
- "When the five came asking to be let in, Jesus answered: ‘I do not know you.’ They were too late in attending to the oil, the Holy Spirit. The door remained closed. Jesus’ statement shows us that our personal relationship with has something to do with the Holy Spirit." (Ibid)
- A Letter
- Revelation 3:14-20
- Question: Why did Jesus call the believers in the church of Laodicea lukewarm?
- Answer: Because they kept Him .
- 1 John 3:24—"The one who keeps God’s commands lives in [Christ] and He in them. And this is how we know that He lives in us: We know it by the He gave us."
- Note this carefully: When we have the , we have Jesus.
- Romans 8:9—"If anyone does not have the of Christ, they do not belong to Christ."
- Note this carefully: When we don’t have the, we don’t have Jesus.
- Because the Holy Spirit is all about a very relationship with Jesus.
- Three Groups
- #1—The person—no relationship with God (in Laodicea called ).
- #2—The person—full, genuine, real relationship with God (in Laodicea called /10 virgins ).
- #3—The person—divided, feigned or pretended relationship with God (in Laodicea called /10 virgins )
- 1 Corinthians 2:14-3:3
- Helmut Haubeil: "Paul addressed the carnal people as ‘dear brothers’ [15:58]. This shows that he was dealing with church members. Paul couldn’t speak to them ‘as to spiritual people’ . . . [meaning] they weren’t filled with the Holy Spirit or weren’t sufficiently filled with the Holy Spirit. He had to speak to them as ‘babes in Christ.’ This shows that they haven’t grown in faith as they should have. A person can have great biblical knowledge and still not grow spiritually." (33)
- "Carnal church members can be very active and even have leading positions in the local church or even in the church administration. They may even do a lot for God." (Ibid)
- Jesus: "Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name and in Your name drive out demons and in Your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you.’" (Matthew 7:22-23)
- "Spiritual growth has to do with our complete dedication to Jesus and a constant life in the Holy Spirit." (Ibid)
- John 15:4—"Abide in Me as I abide in you."
- Desire of Ages: "Abiding in Christ means a receiving of His Spirit, a life of unreserved surrender to His service."
"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock" —Jesus
For study guide answers download the Study Guide PDF
Our Grow Groups help you make new friends, be involved, and grow deeper in your relationship with God. Register to be a leader for your group today!
Thank you for all the kind words, cards, and flowers received in honor of their mother and grandmother, Joyce Juriansz. —Kurtz, Bailey, and Clayton families
"Ideas for Parenting in Today's Society" Topics include: Modern parenting challenges, the spiritual home, and taking care of yourself. All are welcome to attend.
January 19, 10:30 AM
Location: Pioneer Youth Chapel
A panel of four A.U. professors will discuss the topic "The Voices of Parents of LGBT+ Children: Their Journey and Process". All are invited to attend!
January 25, 3:30 PM
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University
For more events impacting our local university campus, please visit www.andrews.edu/agenda.
A playgroup for caregivers and their children ages 0-5. Come for stories, songs, crafts and playtime. Bring a friend!
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM
Location: Pioneer Nursery Room
Andrews Academy invites all ASM (Adventist Seniors of Michiana) members to come and enjoy a vegetarian meal, mini concert and student testimonials at Andrews Academy. We look forward to our time together.
January 26, 1:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
"I will put my trust in Him." Each of us has valuable resources and talents. One such resource is trust. Whom do we trust? How much do we trust? When do we trust? There is One that is the answer to each of those questions. Put your whole trust in Him: He will give you the power to be Faithful in All Things.
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for additional volunteers for its local audio and global television ministry. Members volunteer at least 1 time every 3 Sabbaths, for both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services. Must be at least a Junior in high school for these volunteer roles.