Church is more than just a building; it's about people. Here at Pioneer Memorial Church, on the campus of Andrews University, we believe in helping transform this generation to be more like Jesus through 4 steps: Connect, Grow, Serve, Go.
Your financial gift helps support ministry here at Pioneer. From local to global ministry, keeping our facility safe and clean, to outreach and family growth activities, it all provides a space to worship, learn, and grow together. We invite you to Give Purposefully, Give Faithfully, and Give Joyfully.
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• 64% of young people, ages 13–24, actively seek out pornography weekly or more often.
• A study of 14- to 19-year-olds found that females who consumed pornographic videos were at a significantly greater likelihood of being victims of sexual harassment or sexual assault.
• A Swedish study of 18-year-old males found that frequent consumers of pornography were significantly more likely to have sold and bought sex than other boys of the same age.
• A 2015 meta-analysis of 22 studies from seven countries found that internationally the consumption of pornography was significantly associated with increases in verbal and physical aggression, among males and females alike.
• Porn sites receive more regular traffic than Netflix, Amazon, & Twitter combined each month.
• 35% of all internet downloads are porn-related.
• The “teen” porn category has topped porn site searches for the last six years.
• At least 30% of all data transferred across the internet is porn-related.
• Recorded child sexual exploitation (known as “child porn”) is one of the fastest-growing online businesses.
• 624,000+ child porn traders have been discovered online in the U.S.
• Porn is a global, estimated $97 billion industry, with about $12 billion of that coming from the U.S.
• In 2018 alone, more than 5,517,000,000 hours of porn were consumed on the world’s largest porn site.
• The world’s largest free porn site also received over 33,500,000,000 site visits during 2018 alone.
• Denny Burk: “A growing number of young men are convinced that their sexual responses have been sabotaged because their brains were virtually marinated in porn when they were adolescents. Their generation has consumed explicit content in
quantities and varieties never before possible, on devices designed to deliver content swiftly and privately, all at an age when their brains were more plastic—more prone to permanent change—than in later life.” (in Meet Generation Z 61)
» THE TAMING
• Luke 5:17-20
• Desire of Ages: “Oh, wondrous love of Christ, stooping to heal the guilty and the afflicted! Divinity sorrowing over and soothing the ills of suffering humanity! Oh, marvelous power thus displayed to the children of men! Who can doubt the message of salvation? Who can slight the mercies of a compassionate Redeemer?” (269)
Five Steps (Maybe Six) to Overcoming Pornographic Addiction*
» Admit your .
• To yourself for honesty—Romans 7:14-15
• To God for help—2 Chronicles 20:12
» Confess your .
• To Jesus for cleansing—1 John 1:7
• To someone else for accountability—James 5:16**
» Surrender your and .
• To the Holy Spirit—1 Corinthians 6:18-20
• To the Lord—Joshua 24:15
» Worship your .
• Daily through prayer—Daniel 6:10/Psalm 55:17
• Daily through His Word—Joshua 1:7-8/Psalm 119:9-11
** ADVENTIST RECOVERY MINISTRIES: The Journey to Wholeness (email@example.com)/GROW Groups: “Sexual Purity for Men” & “Conquer”
“Friend, your sins are forgiven”
Soup for Students Report
Thank you to all who brought food or volunteered for Soup for Students last night. Because of your faithfulness, we were able to serve 197 students. We had over 30 pots of home-made soup, pizza, salad, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and cookies. It was a tremendous blessing to see students arriving even before 6:00 PM. We then prayed, opened the lines, and they were off. One student commented how this event is always an "oasis" for her and her friends in the midst of finals week. We had about 15 volunteers who were busy assembling the pizzas, swapping out empty pots of soup, and refilling water at the tables. Toward the end of the event, we were realizing we'd have some soup left over, so I texted Donnie Keele, the assistant dean at Meier Hall. He said, "If you bring any soup over here, it will all be gone by 10:15 PM." So we did just that. We packed the leftovers into to-go cups, and brought soup to the girls and the boys dorm. What an honor it is to partner together to show demonstrate God’s love towards students on our campus.
The season is upon us. Come celebrate with us. PMC Annual Christmas Breakfast in Church will be on December 21, 2019 at 9:00 AM – 10:15 AM
Bring your favorite breakfast items.
A – G – bread, muffin or pastries
H – P – breakfast casserole or hot/cold cereal
Q – Z – fruits
PMC will provide hot and cold drinks and nuts.
PMC Christmas Angel Tree
Brighten the Christmas season and bring smile to struggling families, please stop by the Christmas Angel Tree located at the Welcome Center downstairs and at the Narthex. Choose an angel from the tree, you can either give donation (money, gift card, food, toys, etc) or buy a gift for them. You may bring your gift with the angel attached to it to PMC on or before December 23 (Monday)
Nathan Greene Art Studio Christmas Open House
Please join us at the Nathan Greene Art Studio Christmas Openhouse on Sunday, December 8 & 15, 2019, from 12 pm to 6 pm. Prints and puzzles will be available for purchase and signing by Nathan. Also featuring Artist, Bonnie Greene Le Blanc and Bladesmith, Daniel Greene. Hope to see you there!
Studio location: 8458 Painter School Road, Berrien Center, MI.
For more info call 269-313-1179
Join us in collecting toys for families that need some extra kindness during this holiday season. Bring a new, unwrapped toy to the church on December 14 to be collected during our children's Celebration of Christmas.
Nominating Committee Name Change Board Vote
The PMC Board voted on Nov. 11 to follow the recommendation of David Nowack, the Nominating Committee chair, to change the name of the Nominating Committee: it is now the Volunteer Engagement Committee or VEC for short. The change is the result of consultations with the pastoral staff and others to create a name that reflects the actions of the Committee and make it more understandable for the visitor, guest or new member.
Our United Cry
Adventist Retirees Christmas Banquet
Senior members of the Pioneer Memorial Church are invited to a Christmas Banquet in the Fellowship Hall of the Village Seventh-day Adventist Church on Sunday December 15, at 1:00 PM. Reservations must be made by calling the Village Church at 269.471.7795 by December 8. Please provide the name(s) who will be attending, contact number and indicate your church affiliation.
December 15, 1:00 PM
Location: Village SDA Church
Children's Ministry Resource Center needs costumers.
The PMC Children's Ministry Resource Center is looking for a Costume Coordinator and a Costume Garment Maker/Repairer. These volunteer positions are flexible to suit individual time available. Contact Debi Robertson, 269-470-2690.
AU Passion Play Seeking Actors
The Andrews University Passion Play is returning to campus on April 11, 2020! Anyone interested in acting is encouraged to sign up on the website: passionplay.andrews.edu. Additionally, interested volunteers may contact the Drama Director Katharina Burghardt for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please join us in telling Jesus' story this Easter!