Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
Gone to the Birds
Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist - Part 4
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"Gone to the Birds: Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist"—4
The Rooster and the Dove
- The Rooster
- Mark 14:66-72
- Desire of Ages: "In that gentle countenance [Peter] read deep pity and sorrow, but there was no anger there. The sight of that pale, suffering face, those quivering lips, that look of compassion and forgiveness, pierced his heart like an arrow. Conscience was aroused. Memory was active. . . . Once more he looked at his Master, and saw a sacrilegious hand raised to smite Him in the face. Unable longer to endure the scene, he rushed, heartbroken, from the hall." (713)
- The Dove
- Mark 1:9-13
- Matthew 10:16—"'I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.'"
- 1 Corinthians 10:13—"No temptation has seized you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."
- 2 Kings 6:12—"'None of us, my lord the king,' said one of his officers, 'but Elisha the prophet who is in Israel, tells the king of Israel the very words you speak in your bedroom.'"
- Psalm 50:15—"Call upon Me in the day of trouble and I will deliver you!"
- John 16:13—"'But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.'"
- Isaiah 30:21—"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'"
- 1 Corinthians 8:4, 7—"So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. . . . But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled."
- Romans 14:23—"But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin."
- SDA Bible Commentary: "The Christian should never violate his conscience. It may require educating. It may tell him that certain things are wrong that in themselves may not be wrong. But until convinced by the Word and the Spirit of God that a certain course is proper for him, he ought not to pursue it. He must not make others the criterion for his conduct; he must go to the Scriptures and learn for himself his duty in the matter." (SDABC 5:641)
- The Dove and the Rooster
- Our High Calling: "As we yield to the influence of the Spirit of God [the Dove], our conscience [the Rooster] becomes tender and sensitive, and sin that we have passed by with little thought, becomes exceeding sinful." (153)
- Which is why we must ask for both Gifts:
Dear God—give to me please a clear conscience sensitive to sin. I don't want to drink the Kool Aid and suck up the poison. I know full well what sin is—my conscience immediately goes into Red Alert. So please grant me Your power to obey Your Voice. And please give to me, dear Jesus, Your baptism of the Holy Spirit. Even as He came upon you, let Him come upon me, too—everyday. So that daily I might hear and obey the loving voice of Your Spirit through my Conscience, I humbly pray. Amen.
2 Birds, 2 Gifts, 1 Voice
Our Grow Groups help you make new friends, be involved, and grow deeper in your relationship with God. Register to be a leader for your group today!
Thank you for all the kind words, cards, and flowers received in honor of their mother and grandmother, Joyce Juriansz. —Kurtz, Bailey, and Clayton families
"Ideas for Parenting in Today's Society" Topics include: Modern parenting challenges, the spiritual home, and taking care of yourself. All are welcome to attend.
January 19, 10:30 AM
Location: Pioneer Youth Chapel
A panel of four A.U. professors will discuss the topic "The Voices of Parents of LGBT+ Children: Their Journey and Process". All are invited to attend!
January 25, 3:30 PM
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University
For more events impacting our local university campus, please visit www.andrews.edu/agenda.
A playgroup for caregivers and their children ages 0-5. Come for stories, songs, crafts and playtime. Bring a friend!
Tuesdays, 10:00 AM
Location: Pioneer Nursery Room
Andrews Academy invites all ASM (Adventist Seniors of Michiana) members to come and enjoy a vegetarian meal, mini concert and student testimonials at Andrews Academy. We look forward to our time together.
January 26, 1:00 PM
Location: Andrews Academy
"I will put my trust in Him." Each of us has valuable resources and talents. One such resource is trust. Whom do we trust? How much do we trust? When do we trust? There is One that is the answer to each of those questions. Put your whole trust in Him: He will give you the power to be Faithful in All Things.
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for additional volunteers for its local audio and global television ministry. Members volunteer at least 1 time every 3 Sabbaths, for both the 9:00 AM and 11:45 AM services. Must be at least a Junior in high school for these volunteer roles.