We will celebrate the life of long-time Pioneer member Erich Bekowies on Sunday, August 9, at 11:00 AM, in the Pioneer sanctuary. Erich and Karen were active members until they moved this winter to be closer to their children. Erich died March 22 in Surprise, Arizona. We pray the comfort of Jesus for Karen and their children Wendy Eberhardt, Michael and families. “Even so, come, Lord Jesus."
Galaxy Three: Why What Is Happening a Billion Light Years Away Right Now Matters to You
Galaxy Three: From Flower Girl to Bride
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Galaxy Three: From Flower Girl to Bride”
- Hebrews 5:11-14
- Hebrews 5:14—“But solid food is for the .”
- The Greek word for “mature” here is teleios, a word that is often translated “” in the New Testament.
- It can be translated: perfect, complete, whole, full-grown, mature.
- Hebrews 5:8,9—“Son though he was, [Jesus] learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made , he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him.”
- Hebrews 2:10—“It was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation through suffering.”
- Hebrews 10:14—“For by one sacrifice [Christ] has made forever those who are being made holy.”
- Matthew 5:48—“‘Be , therefore, as your heavenly Father is .’”
- Hebrews 12:1-4
- “Such a great cloud of witnesses”—the checkered-life of Hebrews 11 were hardly .
- “Let us throw off everything that hinders and the that so easily tangles.”
- Ryan Dobson: “What’s with this culture of all-me-all-the-time? More important, what’s the alternative, and does anyone have a picture of that?” (WSJ 8-20-14)
- Desire of Ages: “Looking upon the crucified Redeemer, we more fully comprehend the magnitude and meaning of the sacrifice made by the Majesty of heaven. The plan of salvation is glorified before us, and the thought of Calvary awakens living and sacred emotions in our hearts. Praise to God and the Lamb will be in our hearts and on our lips; for and cannot flourish in the soul that keeps fresh in memory the scenes of Calvary.” (661)
- For a generation whose prevailing sin is our , what else can heal us but our on the cross?
- Turns out Roger Morneau’s idea of the story of Calvary every morning as part of our worship is a remedy whose time has come—Matthew 27:24-54.
- Christ’s Object Lessons: “Christ has given us no assurance that to attain perfection of character is an easy matter. A noble, all-round character is not inherited. It does not come to us by accident. A noble character is earned by individual effort through the merits and grace of Christ. . . . It is formed by hard, stern battles with . Conflict after conflict must be waged against hereditary tendencies. We shall have to criticize ourselves closely, and allow not one unfavorable trait to remain uncorrected.” (331)
- “[Christ] made an offering so complete that through his grace may reach the standard of perfection. Of those who  receive his grace and  follow his example it will be written in the book of life, ‘Complete in him—without spot or stain.’” (Review and Herald 5-30-1907)
- Revelation 3:21
- Steps to Christ: “There are those who have known the pardoning love of Christ and who really desire to be children of God, yet they realize that their character is imperfect, their life faulty, and they are ready to doubt whether their hearts have been renewed by the Holy Spirit. To such I would say, Do not draw back in despair. We shall have to bow down and weep at the feet of Jesus because of our shortcomings and mistakes, but we are not to be discouraged. Even if we are overcome by the enemy, we are not cast off, not forsaken and rejected of God.” (64)
- “He desires to restore you to Himself, to see His own purity and holiness reflected in you. And if you will but yield yourself to Him, He that hath begun a good work in you will carry it forward to the day of Jesus Christ. more fervently; more fully. As we come to distrust our own power, let us trust the power of our Redeemer, and we shall praise Him who is the health of our countenance.” (64)
- “The closer you come to Jesus, the more you will appear in your own eyes; for your vision will be clearer, and your imperfections will be seen in broad and distinct contrast to His perfect nature. This is evidence that Satan’s delusions have lost their power; that the vivifying influence of the Spirit of God is arousing you. No deep-seated love for Jesus can dwell in the heart that does not realize its own sinfulness.” (64-65)
- “The we see to esteem in ourselves, the we shall see to esteem in the infinite purity and loveliness of our Saviour. . . . The more our sense of need drives us to Him and to the word of God, the more exalted views we shall have of His character, and the more we shall reflect His image.” (65)
Come join Neighbor to Neighbor and our community as they celebrate their new addition.
August 16, 2:00 PM
Location: 9147 US 31, Berrien Springs, MI 49103
Parents, teachers, school board, and community members are invited to join us at Ruth Murdoch Elementary School for our Annual Cleaning/Work Bee on August 9. Let's bring the school community together to enhance the RMES campus and ensure a safe, healthy, happy and welcoming learning environment for our students. Your participation will make a huge difference and will be greatly appreciated. Please remember to bring your mask.
August 9, 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Location: Ruth Murodch Elementary School
Do you have the heart to serve the "least of these?" One of our Pioneer ministries provides a simple church service to those in the Juvenile Detention Center in Berrien Center. Saturday evenings at 6:00 PM we host an interactive Bible study and sing songs with the young people there. For more information and to get involved contact Rodlie Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 269-471-6154.
We are inviting all youth to come out to Lake Chapin every Tuesday night from June 30 - August 11 at 6:00 PM to join us for Sun, Fun, and Faith! We will have boating, fun, and worship. Masks are encouraged and attendees are asked to remember social distancing. The Youth Department is asking for anyone with a boat who can bring it to out to Lake Chapin on Tuesday nights to contact Brooke Scott at 269-932-5783 via text or call.
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."