Pioneer Women’s Ministries engages women in Christ-centered discipleship, fellowship and service to glorify God through prayerfully planned activities and events. We are inviting you to participate in a survey that will help plan these activities and events this year. We would be delighted to hear from you either by completing the online survey or by phone by calling Lyn McCarty at 269-208-3377.
A Christmas Prayer For 2015: O Come, O Come, Immanuel (Veni, Veni Emmanuel)
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
“A Christmas Prayer for 2015: O Come, O Come, Immanuel”
- The Gathering Dark
- James Nelson Black: “As I have looked back across the ruins and landmarks of antiquity, I have been stunned by the parallels between those societies and our own. For most of us the destruction of Carthage, the rise of the Greek city-states, and the Fall of Rome are mere ghosts of the past, history lessons long forgotten. And such things as the capture of Constantinople, the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire, the collapse of the kingdoms of France and Spain, and the slow withering decline of the British Empire are much less clear and less memorable. . . . But this is the legitimate background of our own place in history, [thus] it is vital that we reconsider the nature of life in those earlier times. For within those eras and movements are the seeds of the troubles we face today.” (When Nations Die 3 www.leaderu.com/common/nationsdie.html)
- Crisis of lawlessness
- Loss of economic discipline
- Rising bureaucracy
- Decline of education
- Weakening of cultural foundations
- Loss of respect for tradition
- Increase in materialism
- Rise in immorality
- Decay of religious belief
- Devaluing of human life
- The Piercing Light
- Matthew 4:16-17—The world was when Christ came the first time.
- Revelation 18:1-3—The world will be when Christ comes the second time.
- Ezekiel 43:1, 2—But as it was the first time so it will be the second time—the Light of will pierce the darkness of the world.
- Malachi 4:2—The of Righteousness will rise with healing in His beams.
- Isaiah 60:1, 2—And He will pierce the darkness through His glory that will shine upon His .
- Matthew 5:14-16—So we must let the light of His shine us.
- Christ’s Object Lessons:
- “It is the darkness of misapprehension of that is enshrouding the world. [People] are losing their knowledge of His character.” (415)
- “The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of .” (415)
- “The children of God are to manifest His glory. In own life and character they are to reveal what the grace of God has done for them.” (415-416)
- “Thus in the night of spiritual darkness God’s glory is to shine forth through His in lifting up the bowed down and comforting those that mourn.” (417)
- “Practical work will have far more than mere sermonizing. We are to give food to the hungry, clothing to the naked, and shelter to the homeless.” (417)
- “And we are called to do more than this. The wants of the soul, only the of Christ can satisfy. If Christ is abiding in us, our hearts will be full of divine sympathy. The sealed fountains of earnest, Christlike will be unsealed.” (417)
- “The whole earth, wrapped as it is in the darkness of sin, and sorrow, and pain, is to be lighted with the knowledge of God’s . From no sect, rank, or class of people is the light shining from heaven’s throne to be excluded. . . . The power of hell has been overcome.” (418)
“Go light your world!”
It's a fresh new year, and it's time for a fresh new Grow Groups season! Grow Groups are Pioneer's small groups that incorporate 5 S's: Shared interest, Spiritual touchpoint, Service project, Social event, Semester-based. That's it, in a nutshell! Grow Groups are for EVERYONE—all welcome to join.
Leaders, if you are passionate about something and want to use that to foster community and lead others to Jesus, we can probably help you turn that passion into a Grow Group! Let us know as soon as possible because the deadline to sign up to lead a group is January 21. For more information please email email@example.com or visit pmchurch.org/grow to sign up.
Dates to Keep in Mind:
- Digital Group Leader Registration Deadline: January 21
- Leader Orientation (via Zoom): February 1, 7:00 PM
- Spring Grow Groups Meet: February 7 – May 1
It is almost time for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. Pioneer knows that you have had an unusual year and wants to make it easy for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. This time around, you will receive your Contribution Statement easily and conveniently via email. If you have not recently updated your contact details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your current email address to ensure that you receive your statement. Thank you!
"Military life can be a lonely life away from family on deployment," notes James North, Pioneer's Servicepersons Coordinator. "Military families may have a difficult time in a foreign country even though they are together," he continues. "I spent 358 days (I marked each day on a self-created calendar) in Viet Nam away from my wife and 3 toddler daughters. My access to some of the following material was vital."
SDA military persons may receive complimentary subscriptions to Adventist Review, the Adult Bible Study Guide (Sabbath School), and For God and Country and the choice of 2 journals from Guide, Liberty, Message, Our Little Friend, Primary Treasure, Signs of the Times, and Vibrant Life.
A 2021 order form and instructions are found on page 28 of the current issue of For God and Country and I will post a copy of the form in next week's bulletin. If you have military Adventist family members we invite you to send this information to them.