The Junior High students from Ruth Murdoch would like to invite you to join us for our "Virtual Tent" meetings. They began on Friday, May 22 and continue through June 2. Meetings are held at 7:00 PM each night, except Saturdays. Please come and support our kids and invite a friend or family member to watch so they can get to know Jesus better.
If 'Righteousness Exalts a Nation,' What's Going 2 Happen 2 the USA
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
#RxF4Now—If 'Righteousness Exalts a Nation,' What’s Going 2 Happen 2 the USA?
- Elijah Mvundura: “Primal passions: fear, egoism, anger, and hatred, the kind that Mussolini and Hitler exploited and mobilized, are once again potent factors in the politics of Western democracies. Driving these passions is the same disillusionment with liberal democracy, the same gnawing sense of overwhelming crisis that things are falling apart and the center cannot hold. The parallels with Europe in the 1920s are ominously striking.” “. . . not only do we have a thoroughly interconnected and interdependent global economy—social media connects people globally, which allows them to speak with one voice. Now imagine a catastrophic global economic collapse against a background of social unrest, radical jihadist and anarchist violence, hordes of extremists inflaming passions and speeches, blogs or tweets of demagogues going viral; and new totalitarianisms become conceivable. As a matter of fact, democracy has been in retreat worldwide. This drift toward authoritarianism brings to mind Christ’s words, ‘If people do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?’” (Liberty May/June 2016 p 6)
- Premise #1—God is in —He .
- Daniel 2:19-22
- Portrayal of God #1—He is the ultimate .
- Desire of Ages: “But like the stars in the vast circuit of their appointed path, God’s purposes know no haste and no delay.” (32)
- Portrayal of God #2—He is the ultimate .
- Portrayal of God #3—He is the ultimate .
- Portrayal of God #4—He is the ultimate .
- Review and Herald 8-5-1902: “Those who place themselves under God’s control, to be led and guided by Him, will catch the steady trend of events ordained by Him to take place.”
- Premise #2—God’s purpose in Earth politics is always to display His as revealed in His who carry out His .
- Daniel 2:46, 47
- Daniel 3:28, 29
- Daniel 4:37
- Daniel 5:22
- Daniel 6:26, 27
- Premise #3—God expects political leaders—no matter their religious persuasion (or the lack thereof)—to abide by the principles of .
- Proverbs 14:34—“[right-doing] exalts a nation, but [wrong-doing] condemns any people.”
- Proverbs 16:12—“Kings detest wrongdoing, for a throne is established through [right-doing].”
- Proverbs 20:28—“and faithfulness keep a king safe; through his throne is made secure.”
- Proverbs 24:11-12 The Message: “Rescue the perishing; don’t hesitate to step in and help. If you say, ‘Hey, that’s none of my business,’ will that get you off the hook? Someone is watching you closely, you know—someone not impressed with weak excuses.”
- “The Lord has done more for the United States than for any other country upon which the sun shines. Here He provided an asylum for His people, where they could worship Him according to the dictates of conscience. Here Christianity has progressed in its purity.” (Maranatha 193)
- “The Bible was held as the foundation of faith, the source of wisdom, and the charter of liberty. Its principles were diligently taught in the home, in the school, and in the church, and its fruits were manifest in thrift, intelligence, purity, and temperance. . . . It was demonstrated that the principles of the Bible are the surest safeguards of national greatness.” (Great Controversy 296)
- “As nations forget God, in like proportion they become weak morally. . . . It is sin that is ruining nations today. . . . A disregard for God’s law has brought the sure result.” (Character Sketches from the Life of Daniel 45)
- 5T 713
“Once to every man and nation
comes the moment to decide,
in the strife of truth with falsehood,
for the good or evil side.”
—James Russell Lowell
We are saddened to inform you that due to COVID-19 FLAG Camp will be canceled this summer. Thank you to each who has applied to be on staff. Please apply again next year for the summer of 2021. We will be working to make next summer a great and safe experience!
For your safety, Pioneer Memorial Church offices are now closed until further notice. Pastors and staff continue to work remotely to serve your needs.
A celebration through word and music, prsented by Pastor Esther R. Knott in celebration fo the 50th anniversary of her baptism. Participants include: Lisa Jardine, Ron Kelly, Kenenth Logan, Dwight Nelson, Karen Nelson, Betty Oakley, Charles Reid, Julie Reid, Olivia Ruiz-Knott, Stephen Zork, and Susan Zork.
Saturday, May 30, 4:00 PM
University Medical Specialties is currently accepting patients who have both critical care and other medical needs.
This week I learned of our world church headquarters appeal for prayer throughout the global Seventh-day Adventist family. Originally timed to end during the recently-postponed General Conference session in Indianapolis, our church leaders are calling us to now focus 100 days of praying (March 27-July 4) on behalf of the global coronavirus pandemic. There could hardly be a more urgent need for earnest praying!
A pastor friend of mine, Jim Moon, pointed out a two-verse juxtaposition I'd not noticed before: "When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a pestilence among My people, if My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land" (2 Chronicles 7:13-14). While everyone knows the beloved prayer call in v 14, few of us connect it with the preceding divine action in v 13. "A pestilence among My people" certainly could represent a global pandemic like the coronavirus COVID-19. While Satan is the originator of destructive calamities, what more faith-appropriate response is our collective prayers to the One who can deliver this nation, this world, these people, from the grips of pestilence.
So let's join together in humbling ourselves before God and praying and seeking His face—that our world might be saved and our faith community might yet be mobilized to share the glad tidings of Jesus' soon return.
- Pastor Dwight
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
For more events impacting our local university campus, please visit www.andrews.edu/agenda.