Please join us in praying for the children and families attending Ruth Murdoch Elementary School using the their prayer calendar. Beginning in October and ending in May, one student each day is highlighted for our special prayer.Let's all join in praying for that one student on his/her day.
"You Turned My Mourning into Dancing"
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"'You Turned My Mourning into Dancing'"
- The Story—1 Chronicles 21
- The Song—Psalm 30
- Jean Twenge: iGen: Why Today's Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy—and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood (and What That Means for the Rest of Us): "In 2016, for the first time, the majority of entering college students described their mental health as below average.... The sudden, sharp rise in depressive symptoms occurred at almost exactly the same time that smartphones became ubiquitous and in-person interaction plummeted." (104)
- Tommy Walker/Ron Kenoly: "You've turned my mourning Into dancing again/You've lifted my sorrows/I can't stay silent/I must sing for Your joy has come..."
- Ellen White, Ministry of Healing:
- "Nothing tends more to promote health of body and of soul than does a spirit of and . It is a positive duty to resist melancholy, discontented thoughts and feelings—as much a duty as it is to . If we are heaven-bound, how can we go as a band of mourners, groaning and complaining all along the way to our Father’s house?" (251)
- " is a weapon we can always use against discouragement. As we thus open the heart to the sunlight of the Saviour’s presence, we shall have health and His blessing." (254)
- "It is a law of nature that our thoughts and feelings are encouraged and strengthened as we give them utterance. While words express thoughts, it is also true that thoughts follow words [feelings follow (behavior)]. If we would give more expression to our faith, rejoice more in the blessings that we know we have—the great mercy and love of God—we should have more faith and greater joy [talk faith until you have faith]." (251-253)
- Miroslav Volf: "There can be no redemption unless the truth about the world is told and justice is done. To treat sin as if it were not there, when in fact it is there, amounts to living as if the world were redeemed when in fact it is not." (Alberto Garcia, John Nunes Wittenberg Meets the World: Reimagining the Reformation at the Margins 75)
"You turned my mourning into morning!"
There is no fellowship dinner this Sabbath, September 30, or on Sabbath, October 7.
Pioneer Operating Budget
“Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be poured into your lap” (Luke 6:38).
Gloria and Enoch embarked on their long-awaited vacation. The plan was to spend a couple of days visiting their son’s family and their three granddaughters and then go to their favorite beach on the coast to enjoy the sun and water. That Sabbath, as they attended church with their granddaughters, the pastor made a special offering appeal to those in attendance to cover the expense of replacing the roof on the church. Gloria and Enoch felt impressed to give all the money they had saved for their beach vacation to the church for the new roof and to spend the rest of their vacation with their son’s family instead. To their surprise, when they returned home, Gloria found a letter in the mail from her work at the hospital stating that they had miscalculated her wages and needed to pay her back wages. Enclosed was a check for exactly double what she and Enoch gave to the Adventist church to help with the roof.
The Bible promises that when you give, it will be given to you. We invite you to give for your local church budget so the work of the Adventist church will continue here at Pioneer Memorial Church.
Prayer: Dear Jesus, help us to believe in your promises that you will provide for us when we give of our resources to advance God’s kingdom here on earth. In your name, Amen.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Pioneer's Evergreen Pathfinder club invites you to support their participation in the upcoming International Pathfinder Camporee in Gillette, Wyoming, August 5-11, 2024. To raise the needed funds, they are partnering with Florida Indian River Groves to bring you fresh fruit. Fruit is harvested the very same day it ships to ensure that you receive fruit that is hours off of the tree. Now that's fresh! This year, the fundraiser will run from September 25 through November 10. Stay tuned for details in the coming weeks! And don't forget your friends, family, and coworkers. Everyone loves fresh fruit from Florida; and you'll be supporting our Pathfinder club at the same time! Thank you for supporting the Pioneer Evergreens!
- Each Pathfinder must raise $950.
- Pioneer has approximately 100 Pathfinders in its club.
- You can help cut the individual costs for our club by starting an order today!
Please spread the word by sharing our website. Thank you in advance for your support - and enjoy the fresh fruit!
If you miss the deadline for ordering fruit, you can also give directly to the Evergreen Pathfinder Club. Select "PMC Pathfinder Club" from the "Local Offering" categories.
Dr. Brian Strayer, Emeritus Professor of History at Andrews University, will take a look at the life of the Adventist pioneer, Hiram Edson, who introduced the "Sanctuary Doctrine" to Adventists. The presentation will provide a synopsis of Dr. Strayer's new book by the same title as the talk. All are invited to attend this event on Sabbath, September 30, at 3:30 PM in Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Campus.
Fall Grow Groups are beginning, and we need you! Join online at pmchurch.org/grow and enjoy meeting with others who share your interests. (There will not be a printed brochure this fall.)
Alumni Homecoming Weekend is happening this week! Highlights of the weekend include the Golf Tournament (players still welcome!), the Classic Car Show (in a more convenient location at the HPAC parking lot this year), and the Homecoming Parade. Andy’s Eats, AU's fun new Food Truck, will be on site so you can enjoy a snack or a meal (no cash; card only). After the International Flag Raising Ceremony Friday at 6:30 choose from a variety of Vespers programs.
Sabbath afternoon many departments and museums will be open. Then on Sunday come join the fun for the Bradley Family 5K/10K Harvest Run - a fun way to run or walk to support a healthy lifestyle. For more information and the full weekend schedule, visit alumni.andrews.edu/homecoming.
Come One, Come All--who are at least 55 years of age and desire to listen to an inspiring program and eat a delicious potluck on Sunday, October 8, at 1:00 PM at the Village Church Fellowship Hall. Dr. Brian Strayer will have a powerful presentation entitled "Romans were known for their Aqueducts." Come prepared to pay your dues, if you didn't already, and contribute to the donation jar so that we can have many more interesting programs in the future.
Michigan Women's Ministries is hosting two events in October. The first is our Mother/Daughter Weekend October 13-15 at Camp Au Sable in Grayling, Michigan. The guest speakers will be Nancy Hansen and her daughter, Adele. The second event is our One-Day Getaway on October 21. This year the Getaway will be held just up the road at The Mendel Center at Lake Michigan College in Benton Harbor! The guest speaker is Donna Willey. For more information about the events and speakers, as well as to register, visit michiganwm.com. We look forward to seeing you at one or both of these events!
"Akram & Gladys Yaqub, a Husband Wife couple, have taken on the difficult role of Principal & Vice Principal, trying to turn things around at South Bend Junior Academy, 1910 Altgeld St, South Bend, IN 46614
They are looking for a volunteer Wood Worker for Fridays, 2-3 hours. Top notch Shop, all equipment like new, neat, and tidy. Just needs an able instructor! They are also looking for a volunteer Auto Mechanic.
Recently purchased $6000 3D printer with a Laser Engraver in acquisition process.
"Please contact, Akram at 269-362-2357, If you wish to donate your time and expertise."