Fall Grow Groups are beginning, and we need you! Join online at pmchurch.org/grow and enjoy meeting with others who share your interests. (There will not be a printed brochure this fall.)
Jolly Old St Nicholas Goes to Bethlehem
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Jolly Old St Nicholas Goes to Bethlehem”
- Proverbs’ One Prayer
- Proverbs 30:8—“O Lord, give me neither nor , but give me only my .”
- A Christmas prayer asking God to keep me in because (v 9):
- The great danger in wealth is that it tends to make us feel of God. (Psalm 73:12; Job 21:13-15)
- The great danger in poverty is that it tends to make us feel by God. (Isaiah 8:21)
- “O God—give me neither poverty nor riches—but give me only my daily bread.”
- Joshua Becker, The More of Less: Finding the Life You Want Under Everything You Own” (Loc 199-213):
- In the US we now consume as many material goods as we did 50 years ago.
- Over the same period the size of the average American home has nearly tripled and today contains about items.
- On average our homes contain more than people.
- The US Department of Energy reports that due to clutter, % of people with two-car garages don’t have room to park cars inside, and another % have room for only one vehicle.
- One out of 10 American households rents off-site —the fastest growing segment of the commercial real estate industry over the past four decades.
- The average household’s credit card debt stands at over $, while the average mortgage debt is over $.
- Will Rogers: “Too many people spend money they haven’t earned to buy things they don’t want to impress people they don’t like.”
- “My daily bread”:
- Born in a village whose name meant “House of ”(Beth-lehem).
- A fitting birthplace for Him who one day would teach us to pray: “Our Father who is in Heaven, give us this day our daily .” (Matthew 6:11)
- A fitting prayer from Him who one day would declare: “I am the of Life—whoever comes to Me will never go hungry.” (John 6:35)
- God’s One Promise
- 2 Corinthians 1:20—YES! and AMEN!
- Psalm 33:6, 9
- Isaiah 55:11
- John 6:63
- Jesus: “Give and it will be given to you—pressed down, shaken together and running over!” (Luke 6:38)
- Joshua Becker, The More of Less: “It’s true that the less we , the more we can . But what if the inverse is also true? What if the more we give away, the less we need? In other words, what if leads to contentment?”
- God: “Bring the whole tithe into My storehouse and test Me and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of Heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.” (Malachi 3:10)
- Tweet: “The antidote 2 Black Friday is 4 words long. Memorize them—you’ll have no problem driving past a shopping mall 2day: “I don’t need it.” (@DwightKNelson)
- 2 Corinthians 1:20—YES! and AMEN!
“Give me Jesus”
Come One, Come All--those at least 55 years of age who desire to contribute to (and eat!) a delicious potluck meal and enjoy fellowship together. Dr. Brian Strayer will have a humorous presentation entitled, "Romans Were Known for Their Aquaducks". Come to the Village SDA Church Fellowship Hall Sunday, October 8, 1:00 PM, prepared to pay your dues, too, if you haven't already. See you there!
Michigan Women's Ministries is hosting two events in October. The first is our Mother/Daughter Weekend October 13-15 at Camp Au Sable in Grayling, Michigan. The guest speakers will be Nancy Hansen and her daughter, Adele. The second event is our One-Day Getaway on October 21. This year the Getaway will be held just up the road at The Mendel Center at Lake Michigan College in Benton Harbor! The guest speaker is Donna Willey. For more information about the events and speakers, as well as to register, visit michiganwm.com. We look forward to seeing you at one or both of these events!
"Akram & Gladys Yaqub, a Husband Wife couple, have taken on the difficult role of Principal & Vice Principal, trying to turn things around at South Bend Junior Academy, 1910 Altgeld St, South Bend, IN 46614
They are looking for a volunteer Wood Worker for Fridays, 2-3 hours. Top notch Shop, all equipment like new, neat, and tidy. Just needs an able instructor! They are also looking for a volunteer Auto Mechanic.
Recently purchased $6000 3D printer with a Laser Engraver in acquisition process.
"Please contact, Akram at 269-362-2357, If you wish to donate your time and expertise."
Pioneer Women’s Ministries is hosting an "End of Time Life Kit" presentation by Pastor Celesta Babb. This timely presentation will be held on Sabbath (Saturday), October 7, 2023, at 4:00 PM, in the PMC Commons. Check-in begins at 3:30 PM. We will start
promptly at 4:00 PM. What guidance does God give us about being mentally, emotionally and spiritually ready for the end of time? During our afternoon sessions we will look at what it looks like to be ready for Jesus’ second coming as well as how to process our emotions connected to living in the last days. Vegetarian, vegan, & gluten-free salad, soup, and bread will be served. Registration is important for planning the food. To register text the word “PREPARED” to 269-281-2345. Registration deadline: October 5, 2023. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The “Wholistic Healing: Challenges and Opportunities for the Church” conference addresses fundamental health and healing issues the church is facing today, like mental, emotional, social and family health, and much more. Therefore, while God is constantly working to heal people on the deepest level, His healing power calls the church to wholeness in our brokenness.
Heritage Singers is a non-profit gospel music ministry based in California with a goal to bring people closer to Jesus through praising Him through music. When founders Max and Lucy Mace began this ministry, they never thought they would still be doing this 51 years later. The Heritage Singers have had the opportunity to travel to over 80 different countries, travel over two million miles, and perform over 7,000 concerts. Max Mace believed that, “If there ever was a time to share the Good News about Jesus, it’s now.”
The RMES Home & School Team is hosting a bike-a-thon / walk-a-thon fundraiser for Ruth Murdoch Elementary School on Sunday, October 22, 2023. 90% of the proceeds will go towards improvements for the kindergarten sand play area, a gaga ball pit, and the carpet upgrade project and 10% will be used for future Home & School events. Last year students raised over $8,700 and we hope this year even more funds will be raised. Some students at RMES may not know many people in our community and will be looking for sponsors. If you would be willing to sponsor one or more students, please text “BIKE” to 269-281-2345 or signup here by Friday, October 13. No amount is too small.
The Siegfried H. Horn Archaeological Museum is looking for volunteers to help open the museum to the community from 3-5 PM on Sabbath afternoons. If you are interested in Biblical history and how archaeology supports the Scripture, and you would like to share that with others, join our museum docent team. Please call the Assistant Curator at 269-471-6180 or email email@example.com for more information and ask for an application form.
God's Hands 4 Kids is a "Love on the Move" ministry. We are an outgrowth of a Grow Group that first met 10 years ago. We have a close relationship with Berrien County DHHS and other agencies. Our Facebook group has a following of over 2,200. You are invited to serve with us. Maybe childcare or food prep or serving or set up for monthly support group, deliveries, clothes sorting or more. Check out our Facebook group and our website, GH4K.org or email Godshands4kids@gmail.com for more info.