Ground Zero and the New Reformation
How to Be Baptized with the Holy Spirit - Part 2
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"Ground Zero and the New Reformation:
How to Be Baptized with the Holy Spirit"—2
Jesus—"If you then who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him [GK—continually]."
"Morning by morning [Jesus] communicated with His Father in heaven, receiving from Him daily a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit."
(Signs of the Times November 21, 1895)
- One Story
- Matthew 25:1-13
- Helmut Haubeil: "The lamps of the foolish virgins that only burned for a short time show us that they did have something from the Holy Spirit. But it wasn’t enough. There was too little oil. That was the difference." (Steps to Personal Revival: Being Filled with the Holy Spirit 33)
- "When the five came asking to be let in, Jesus answered: ‘I do not know you.’ They were too late in attending to the oil, the Holy Spirit. The door remained closed. Jesus’ statement shows us that our personal relationship with has something to do with the Holy Spirit." (Ibid)
- A Letter
- Revelation 3:14-20
- Question: Why did Jesus call the believers in the church of Laodicea lukewarm?
- Answer: Because they kept Him .
- 1 John 3:24—"The one who keeps God’s commands lives in [Christ] and He in them. And this is how we know that He lives in us: We know it by the He gave us."
- Note this carefully: When we have the , we have Jesus.
- Romans 8:9—"If anyone does not have the of Christ, they do not belong to Christ."
- Note this carefully: When we don’t have the, we don’t have Jesus.
- Because the Holy Spirit is all about a very relationship with Jesus.
- Three Groups
- #1—The person—no relationship with God (in Laodicea called ).
- #2—The person—full, genuine, real relationship with God (in Laodicea called /10 virgins ).
- #3—The person—divided, feigned or pretended relationship with God (in Laodicea called /10 virgins )
- 1 Corinthians 2:14-3:3
- Helmut Haubeil: "Paul addressed the carnal people as ‘dear brothers’ [15:58]. This shows that he was dealing with church members. Paul couldn’t speak to them ‘as to spiritual people’ . . . [meaning] they weren’t filled with the Holy Spirit or weren’t sufficiently filled with the Holy Spirit. He had to speak to them as ‘babes in Christ.’ This shows that they haven’t grown in faith as they should have. A person can have great biblical knowledge and still not grow spiritually." (33)
- "Carnal church members can be very active and even have leading positions in the local church or even in the church administration. They may even do a lot for God." (Ibid)
- Jesus: "Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name and in Your name drive out demons and in Your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you.’" (Matthew 7:22-23)
- "Spiritual growth has to do with our complete dedication to Jesus and a constant life in the Holy Spirit." (Ibid)
- John 15:4—"Abide in Me as I abide in you."
- Desire of Ages: "Abiding in Christ means a receiving of His Spirit, a life of unreserved surrender to His service."
"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock" —Jesus
For study guide answers download the Study Guide PDF