Can you believe that our last Soup for Students was three years ago? If you’re new, Soup for Students is a practical way for Pioneer to show love and care for our University students during final’s week by providing some fresh hot soup and salad. This is taking place on Tuesday, December 13th, at 6 PM in our PMC Commons. We need 30 volunteers who are willing to bring a pot of soup. You can also be involved by helping serve or clean up afterwards. For more information or to register text the word SOUP to 269-281-2345.
The Heart Series
Game of Hearts: Can You Feel the Love?
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"Game of Hearts: Can You Feel the Love?"
- The one-liner
- Mark 10:21—"Jesus looked at him and him."
- The testimony of Rosaria Champagne Butterfield
- Philip Yancey: "The uncommitted share many of our core values, but if we do not live out those values in a compelling way, we will not awaken a thirst for their ultimate Source. Christians can do no better than follow the example set by Jesus, who specialized not in techniques and arguments but in spirit and example. He took skeptics seriously, listening to them and responding forthrightly and yet compassionately. The gospel of Mark adds a telling detail to a scene in which a potential wealthy convert rejects Jesus’ message and walks away: ‘Jesus looked at him and him.'" (Vanishing Grace: What Ever Happened to the Good News? 59)
- An anonymous note
- The Samaritan woman
- Philip Yancey: ". . . turn again to the conversation between Jesus and a Samaritan woman who had found some solace in an alternative religion. What if Jesus had engaged in an argument with her about their differences over where to worship? Instead he summoned up a thirst already evident in her troubled life of five failed marriages. ‘Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again,’ he said, referring to the well water she was drawing for him, ‘but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.’. . . We dare not disdain the choices others have made, for that would not show . Instead, we should tune in to the underlying thirst.” (Ibid)
- Jerry Cook: "The minimal guarantee we must make to people is that they will be —always, under every circumstance, with no exception. The second guarantee is that they will be totally accepted, without reservation. The third thing we must guarantee is that no matter how miserably they fail or how blatantly they sin, unreserved forgiveness is theirs for the asking with no bitter taste left in anybody’s mouth.... A church that can make that commitment to every person is a church that’s learning to love and a church that will be a force for God" (Love, Acceptance, and Forgiveness 11, 13).
- Jesus: "'I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven'" (Matthew 18:22).
- Clearly, God does not intend to attach a statute of to how often we are to love, to accept and to forgive fellow sinners.
- Remember—love, acceptance and forgiveness are not about granting license to sinners, but rather about showing to sinners like us.
- The fruit
- #1—The Fruit of the
- Galatians 5:22-23
- Jesus: "'I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much ; apart from me you can do nothing'" (John 15:5).
- #2—The Fruit of
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
- #1—The Fruit of the
|Galatians 5:22-23||1 Corinthians 13:4-7|
|Long suffering||Suffers long|
|Goodness||Does not delight in evil|
|Gentleness||Keeps no record of wrongs|
|Self-control||Is not self-seeking|
- "Morning by morning [Jesus] communicated with his Father in heaven, receiving from him a fresh baptism of the Holy Spirit. The Lord awakened him from his slumbers in the early hours of the new day, that his soul and his lips might be anointed with grace [love] which he should impart to others" (Signs of the Times November 21, 1895).
- The two prayers:
- "Pour God’s love into me today, Holy Spirit."
- "Pour God’s love out of me today, Holy Spirit."
"Just like Jesus"
On Sabbath December 10, during both services, we are bringing back the toy collection to give and share with the children in our community. Please bring a new, unwrapped toy to share for ages newborn through 16. These will be given to the children in our
Join us on Friday evening, December 9, 7:00 PM, at Pioneer Memorial Church, and be inspired by a program of music, Scripture readings, and drama honoring the King of Kings.
Feast of Lights—now in its 49th year—is the Christmas musical gift from Andrews Academy to the Berrien Springs community and beyond. It is an evening of instrumental music, bells, choral and congregational singing, lights, and a Nativity scene.
Chorale and Orchestra will end the program with the Hallelujah chorus. The church sidewalks will be arrayed in Christmas lighting. The program will speak to your hearts of His wondrous love.
Experience with us the joyful retelling of the Christmas story: beginning with the humble incarnation of the long-expected Messiah, and culminating with the Lord of Lords receiving "the kingdoms of this world" and our universal expression of praise: "Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.... and He shall reign for ever and ever (Revelation 19: 6, 11:15)."
Do you have an announcement to share with the Pioneer family? Please submit all announcements online when possible. If you do not have access to Internet, you may call and leave a detailed message at 269-471-3647.
Beginning on Wednesday (7PM), August 17, House of Prayer/PM will slowly climb the summit of the Bible, Romans chapter 8. It will be a simple word by word reflection. Through discussion and meditation you’re invited to recover and revisit the heart of the gospel, the heart of God. Join the conversation and prayers in the youth chapel any Wednesday you’re free.
Would you like to be a blessing to someone during difficult times? Sign up to be placed on the list to donate food for funeral receptions. This is an easy way to share and such a blessing for the families. Call the church office at 269-471-3133 (Heidi Ha) with your name and phone number or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pioneer's Homebound Ministry is looking for names and contact information of people who are homebound and in need of some personalized attention. Text your information to 262-825-3632.
Pioneer is pleased to announce that transportation will be provided for Sabbath services for attendees with physical challenges who would have trouble in negotiating stairs.
Pioneer Traffic and Deacon teams will transport attendees by golf carts from the canopy entrance to the doors at the east entrance (JN Andrews statue). At the end of the service, attendees will be invited to return to the door and alert a greeter to contact the cart that will transport them to their cars.
If you would like to be picked up from your car at the start of the service instead of at the canopy entrance, please call the church office on (269) 471-3133 by Friday at 10:00 AM and supply the following information:
- Name(s) of attendees
- Service attending
- Make, model, and color of car
- Estimated time of arrival
We hope that this interim measure will be a helpful blessing to you.
Pioneer’s Preschool Pray & Play group provides families who are welcoming new children into their homes (by birth, adoption, foster care, etc.) with meals. You don't need to cook to help out! We're in need of people who can:
- make and deliver meals
- order take-out and deliver it
- help us identify families who are expecting new children
As we get more volunteers, we're hoping to expand this ministry to help families identify the many rich resources available to them at Pioneer and in our community. We want to be the hands of Jesus to new parents and their kids in as families grow.
Ministry and Grow Group Leaders: We are here to help you create appealing materials both digital and in print in order to familiarize people with your ministry or upcoming event. Because we support many ministries, kindly provide us with at least 10 design days from the time we receive your project details to completion. Additional time may be needed for printing and shipping when applicable. Submit your project online today at pmchurch.org/design/submit. -Pioneer Media Ministry