Our delivery date is Sunday, May 28. We still need people willing to help assemble the beds in the homes of recipient families on May 28. Even if you don't have a large vehicle, you can help a team who does! Please let us know you can help by texting BEDS to 269-281-2345 to register or go to pmchurch.org/beds to check out the schedule and sign up.
Roommates, Bad Dates, and Soul Mates
Roommates, Bad Dates, & Soulmates-Part 3
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Roommates, Bad Dates and Soul Mates”—3
» Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
• #1—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to share the . (Financial benefit)
- “Research has shown the financial benefits of marriage. Long-term marriage offers a 77% better rate of return than staying single and total wealth of married persons increases 16% year over year. In other words, the you are married, the more money you make. . . . [I]f this was the reported returns on a stock growth fund, we’d all be jumping in.” (www.moneyunder30.com/financial-benefits-of-marriage)
• #2—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Emotional benefit)
• #3—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to keep you . (Physical benefit)
• #4—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Security benefit)
» A great love story most have never heard . . .
- C. S. Lewis: “We feasted on love; every mode of it, solemn and merry, romantic and realistic, sometimes as dramatic as a thunderstorm, sometimes comfortable and unemphatic as putting on your soft slippers. She was my pupil and my teacher, my subject and my sovereign, my trusty comrade, friend, shipmate, fellow-soldier. My mistress, but at the same time all that any man friend has ever been to me.” (Quoted in Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts 142)
- Les and Leslie Parrott: “If there is a lesson to be gained from this amazing love story, it must be that partners without a spiritual depth of oneness can never compete with the fullness of love that enjoy. Marriage, when it is healthy, has a mystical way of revealing God; a way of bringing a smiling peace to our restless hearts.” (142)
» The third strand
• Jeremiah 9:24—“Let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know [yada] me, that I am the LORD.”
• Genesis 4:1—“Adam made love [yada] to his wife Eve, and she became pregnant.”
• God takes the same word for “making love” [yada] and declares “That’s what I want in a relationship with you—the between a husband and a wife—I want you to know me like Adam knew Eve.”
• Alan McGinnis: “There can be no intimacy without .” (The Friendship Factor 105)
• Alice Fryling: “[Sex] is an expression of intimacy, not the to intimacy. True intimacy springs from verbal and emotional communion. True intimacy is built on a commitment to honesty, love and freedom. True intimacy is not primarily a sexual encounter. Intimacy, in fact, has almost nothing to do with our organs. A prostitute may expose her body, but her relationships are hardly intimate.” (www.focusonthefamily.com/faith/three-lies-about-premarital-sex/)
• Don’t miss Adventist Engaged Encounter with Jeff/Twyla Smith (Nov 1-3).
• Ecclesiastes 4:12—“A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”
- The Third Strand—Proverbs 18:24/John 15:13-14
- #1 Felt Need—How to grow a relationship with God
- Jennifer Schwirzer calls it “going .”
- “A New Way to Pray” (www.newperceptions.tv/newwaytopray)
“Jesus, What a Friend for Sinners!”
Update #6 for Renovate 2.0 (05/24/2023) The Project: It’s nearly done! Essentially, the only major piece of the Renovate 2.0 left to complete is the arrival and installation of the elevator itself. After the installation is the final finishing painting and flooring and its ready for use!!! Fundraising: As of 05/24/2023, there is $657,017.00 that’s been raised with $342,983.00 left to go. We are making wonderful progress. Thank You! Please remember Renovate 2.0 in your giving plans and pray for its success!
Michigan Advance Partners
For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light. Psa. 36:9 At the First Flint church we are blessed with wonderful facilities to reach out to the community and provide a place to gather for worship of our Creator. When our new pastor and his family arrived, we were excited to have them join our church family. In our eagerness, we asked him what he thought of our facilities. His answer surprised us. He said, “it just seems a little dark in the sanctuary.”
The pastor was right! It was dark, even to the point of making it difficult to read our Bibles. But we had gotten accustomed to the darkness and hadn’t realized how much we needed to bring more light into the sanctuary. So, we began getting bids to redo all the lights for the sanctuary, fellowship hall, Sabbath school rooms, hallways, youth chapel, baptistry, and community service center. The best bid came to $22,000. This represented quite a large sum for a church that was still recovering, like many, from the challenges of attending members created by Covid.
We had previously received funding from Michigan Advance Partners for our parking lot, so to start the project rolling, once again we requested assistance for the lights.
Now, with the wonderful support of MAP, we have brand new LED lights throughout our entire church and community services center. Thank you for your kind contributions to MAP that help us to be blessed with physical light, so we can bring the spiritual Light to our community. North American Division Stewardship Ministries
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Nurture, interact, support and create a safe and inclusive environment for children grades 1-7. Responsibilities include managing a group of children Monday-Friday, supervising all aspects of the day, leading children through a weekly schedule and participating/teaching/assisting in all activities.
June 5-Aug 18, 2023. Various shifts available between 7:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday - Friday Must be at least 18 years old. Competitive pay. Lunch included! https://www.andrews.edu/admres/jobs/
You are invited to join the New England Adventist Heritage Tour. On this tour you will have the opportunity to walk the ground that the Adventist Pioneers walked, sing the songs they sang and learn what their passions were. As part of this tour, lectures will be given in which lessons from Adventist history will be applied to life today. Give yourself the chance to deepen your understanding of Adventist history and have an enjoyable time while doing so!
• Dates: July 16–23, 2023 (Sunday–Sunday)
o Students: MDiv and MAR students pay $385 in addition to their Summer Semester Tuition
o Spouses: There are 5 reduced rate spouse seats at $799, but if the number of spouses exceeds five, additional spouses will pay the full price of $1,725.
o Community members: $1,725.
• Applications Now Accepted: Applications will only be accepted via email at email@example.com.
• Brochure & Application Form: See online at www.centerforadventistresearch.org/netour/.
• Courses Offered: See www.centerforadventistresearch.org/netour/.
Video about the historical tour: https://youtu.be/bklPuhasb7I
Registration is open now and forms are due by May 30 for the Andrews University Summer Camp! Our camp is 10 weeks of Bible-based educational summer adventures for children entering grades 1–7 (June 12 – August 18), is held exclusively on the Andrews University campus and features Vacation Bible School-style programming and field trips. Each week of camp highlights a different theme and Bible adventure. https://www.andrews.edu/services/crayonbox/summercamp/
We are blessed to have 34 students graduating from 8th Grade on Thursday, June 1 at Pioneer Memorial Church.
Congratulations, Andrews Academy seniors! May the same Lord who got you here lead you into the uncharted adventure ahead! “I am with you always,” is His promise. Everyone is invited to attend graduation weekend events. Class Night May 25, 7 PM @ Andrews Academy, Consecration May 26, 8 PM @ Village SDA Church, Baccalaureate May 27, 11:45 AM @ PMC, Commencement May 28, 11AM @ PMC.
Each Sabbath morning at both 1st and 2nd services, people gather in "The Prayer Room" to pray for the church service, the participants, and the congregants, both in-house and online. We are in need of more volunteers for both services. We pray for the prayer requests submitted each week (which are anonymous). We participate in the congregational prayer and listen to the sermon on a monitor provided in The Prayer Room. If you have a heart to pray for others or are looking for more information, please contact Deb Montcalm at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Neighbor To Neighbor, Adventist Community Service Center is looking for an Adventist Administrator. Must be caring, flexible and have great communication skills with management and public relations experience. Must have an associate or bachelor degree. Duties include management of the Thrift Store, volunteers and facilities supervision. A full time position with benefits. If interested, have questions or want to submit a resume contact: email@example.com