Out of His deep love for humanity, God changes our lives and asks us to move His love into our community and world. We are uniquely positioned at Andrews University to share the story of God’s love from the residence halls to the farthest parts of the earth. We accomplish our mission by engaging people across generations to be disciples of Jesus through the process of Connect. Grow. Serve. Go.
Your financial gift helps support ministry here at Pioneer. From local to global ministry, keeping our facility safe and clean, to outreach and family growth activities, it all provides a space to worship, learn, and grow together. We invite you to Give Purposefully, Give Faithfully, and Give Joyfully.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Ranko Stefanovic: “Because of its favorable location on the system of Roman roads, the city became one of the greatest commercial and financial centers of the ancient world.” (Revelation of Jesus Christ 144)
• Parallel #2—
• Parallel #3—
• Parallel #4—
• Roy Allen Anderson: “Valuable wool was produced in the valley, soft in texture, glossy black in color, but tinged as it were with violet. Black garments were worn almost exclusively by the Laodiceans as evidence of their wealth.” (Unfolding the Revelation 42)
• Parallel #5—
• Parallel #6—
• Jacques Doukhan: “Their mentality is but the symptom of a civilization that prides itself in its secularism and humanism while excluding God. . . . The human has usurped the divine on all levels.” (Secrets of Revelation 46)
• Parallel #7—
• Greek—”a people judged”
•Ellen White: “The Lord has done more for the United States than for any other country upon which the sun shines. . . . Here Christianity has progressed in its purity. . . . But the enemy of all righteousness has designs upon God’s purpose for this country. He will bring in enterprises that will lead men to forget that there is a God. Worldliness and covetousness, which is idolatry, will prevail through the working of the archdeceiver, till the law of God, in all its bearings, shall be made void.” (Maranatha 193)
• James Warren: “[Roger] Williams disavowed the Puritan’s cherished belief that their Holy Commonwealths were in a special covenant with God. There was no ‘chosen nation’ in the seventeenth century, nor had there been once since Moses’ Israel. Williams believed . . . that ‘since the coming of Christ the only way God had contracted with men . . . was through the churches of Christ. . . . Nobody of men who now employed force in defense of religion, whether at home or abroad, could claim the name Christian.’” (God, War and Providence 70-71)
• America is a Christian nation.
• Martin Luther King, Jr: “The church must be reminded that it is not the master or the servant of the state, but rather the of the state.”
• Jonathan Walton: “‘Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness’ are promised by America and God. But they are not the same in origin, practice, or motive. The goals and intentions of the Declaration of Independence sit in opposition to the gospel of Christ. The totality of Scripture does not endorse the marriage of God and country or the establishment, development, or practices of any country in the name of Jesus.” (Twelve Lies That Hold America Captive: And the Truth That Sets Us Free 18)
»So what hope is there for this nation?
•Revelation 14:6-7—”And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, having an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people; and he said with a loud voice, ‘Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters.’”
• Acts 4:12—”’Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved [than the name of Jesus].”
• John 4:42—”They said to the woman, ‘We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this Man really is the Savior of the world.’”
• Jon Meacham: “‘A bold President who knew himself to be supported by a majority in the country, might be tempted to override the law, and deprive the minority of the protection which the law affords it,’ [James] Bryce wrote. ‘He might be a tyrant, not against the masses, but with the masses.’” (The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels 271)
• America’s thought leaders need Liberty.
God save America—and let me help You!
The Christmas Experience
Get your family ready for Christmas and its deeper meaning. Join our Healthy Families Sabbath School class 10:30 AM. Sabbath Morning in Room 141. We will be showing and discussing the DVD study series, The Christmas Experience.
December 4- Just the Right Time, December 11- Favored One, December 18-Faithful One, December 25-This is God's Plan?, January 1-Immanuel, January 8-Gold, Frankincense, Myrrh.
Thank-you to all who braved the weather on Sunday, November 14 to participate in the Village of Berrien Springs Shamrock Spruce-Up! 18 of the 24 volunteers who came out to show love on the move were part of the Pioneer team. Participants were out for around four hours, raking, blowing, and bagging leaves in yards all over Berrien Springs. It was a blessing for everyone involved!
Offering for December 4, 2021
Local Church Budget
And [Jesus] looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. So He said, "Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had." Luke 21:1-4
Donny and Johnny were the youngest of 7 children. Their family wasn't blessed with an abundance of money, but there was more than enough love to go around.
One Christmas there was no money to buy presents, so each person in the family exchanged something they already had with someone else. Donny and Johnny were chosen to exchange gifts with each other. Neither boy had much, but Donny had a shiny, sliver flashlight that Johnny thought was pretty cool.
It was the only possession of real significance Donny had.
On Christmas morning when the gifts were exchanged, what do you suppose Donny had given to Johnny? That's right, it was his silver flashlight! Rather than just giving Johnny something that wasn't very valuable, he gave him the best that he had.
When we give our offerings to God let us remember that it isn’t the dollar amount that is of greatest importance. Rather, it is the sacrifice we make that renders our gift as valuable in Heaven’s sight. Today’s offering is for the Local Church Budget.
—PMC Stewardship Committee
Andrews Academy Invites You to the Feast of Lights
Update: Andrews Academy will be presenting the 48th annual Feast of Lights program on Friday, December 10, 2021 at 7:00 PM. With the rise of COVID-19 cases our community and county, the 48th annual Feast of Lights program will be live streamed for our community. To provide enough physical distancing we are restricting the in-building audience to just a limited number of family members of participants. For many in our community the Feast of Lights is part of our cherished Christmas traditions, we are sorry that we have to make this last minute change. The community is invited to enjoy this spectacular night of music, Scripture, and drama, honoring the King of Kings. It will still be an evening of lights, bells, instruments, choral singing, congregational singing, shepherds, a Nativity scene, and the retelling of a glorious Christmas story. The program will speak to your hearts of His wondrous love.
You are also invited to an evening of popular Christmas music on Saturday, December 11, at 7:00 PM at the Howard Performing Arts Center on the campus of Andrews University. Join us as we bring in the holidays with a variety of well-known Christmas songs including a grand finale played by the combined musical groups.
On Sabbath December 11, during both services, we will have the opportunity once again to give and share with the children in our community. Please bring a new, unwrapped toy to share for ages newborn through 16. These will be given to the children in our community.
Full-time Paid Ministry Position "Training & Outreach Assistant" for ASAP Ministries' Reach the World Next Door (RWND) Program.
ASAP Ministries is looking for an effective communicator with good organizational skills and attention to detail, as well as marketing experience, including social media and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe InDesign/Photoshop.
Duties will include general office tasks coordinating RWND's day-to-day activities, promoting the RWND training course through social media and other communication channels, and following up to facilitate participants’ completion of the RWND training course.
God's Hands 4 Kids is a ministry that grew out of a Grow Group and originated in 2013. It exists to support foster care, adoption, kinship placement and disadvantaged families serviced through Berrien County Department of Health and Human Services and other agencies. We provide a support group for foster, adoptive and kinship families. We also invite families who are interested in fostering, adopting or supporting these families to join us. Their next meeting is November 18. For more information visit GH4K.org and join their Facebook Group, where they share needs presented to them.
A Prayer for Veterans
O God, Father of military persons as well as civilians, on this Sabbath following Veterans’ Day, we pray for all those who have served in one of the branches of the Department of Defense-Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy, and have separated or retired. We realize that not all were God-loving or even God-fearing, but all were serving their country selflessly. Many have been very seriously wounded, some physically, some mentally-lifelong wounds. But, wounded or not we ask for them your bounteous grace and mercy-lifelong. Touch with generous and caring hearts those who have caring responsibilities, official and unofficial, to provide gracious and comprehensive care as Good Samaritans. Today, we also pray Your merciful care for all veterans, world-wide, through Jesus, Who has all authority in Heaven and Earth, till He comes again. Amen.
Women's Ministries Reflections on Christmas Hymns
First Advent Calendar 2021
“Reflections on Christmas Hymns”
December 1-25, 2021
This Christmas season, Pioneer Women’s Ministries is delighted to share with you a Christmas Hymn Reflection each day through Christmas day. A daily email and/or a text will be sent to those who register. To register, text HYMNS to 269-281-2345.
World Service Organization Database Launched
The World Service Organization (WSO) is part of the Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries Department. The WSO is the church entity that supports Adventists who serve their communities, militaries, and local, regional, and national governments.
In order to support you, we need to know who you are and what you do. We have created a system to collect this information and store it securely. Now, we need you to create your profile.
WHO SHOULD CREATE A PROFILE
Any Adventist who serves in:
a national military or defense force (This includes Active Duty, Reserves, and National Guard, and State Defense Forces.)
Law Enforcement personnel (City, County, State/Province/Federal)
Firefighters (City, County, State/Province/Federal)
Search and Rescue/EMTs/First Responders
Corrections (State/Province or Federal)
Government (City, County, State/Province, or Federal)
YOU CAN CREATE YOUR PERSONAL PROFILE AT PORTAL.WORLDSERVICEORGANIZATION.ORG.
Once you log in, choose the Adventist in Uniform/Government registration platform. You’ll be asked to provide your name and contact information, government service information, and church relationship.
Be sure to complete the section on subscriptions to receive your complimentary For God and Country magazine subscription, occasional email updates, and texts from the World Service Organization. Don’t forget to click submit.