There will be a fellowship dinner, following the second worship service in the commons on the lower level. Visitors are always welcome.
The Last Letter
Wretched (Last Letter for America)
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"The Last Letter: Wretched (Last Letter for America)"
» Laodicea and America (Revelation 3:14-19)
• Parallel #1—
• Ranko Stefanovic: “Because of its favorable location on the system of Roman roads, the city became one of the greatest commercial and financial centers of the ancient world.” (Revelation of Jesus Christ 144)
• Parallel #2—
• Parallel #3—
• Parallel #4—
• Roy Allen Anderson: “Valuable wool was produced in the valley, soft in texture, glossy black in color, but tinged as it were with violet. Black garments were worn almost exclusively by the Laodiceans as evidence of their wealth.” (Unfolding the Revelation 42)
• Parallel #5—
• Parallel #6—
• Jacques Doukhan: “Their mentality is but the symptom of a civilization that prides itself in its secularism and humanism while excluding God. . . . The human has usurped the divine on all levels.” (Secrets of Revelation 46)
• Parallel #7—
• Greek—”a people judged”
•Ellen White: “The Lord has done more for the United States than for any other country upon which the sun shines. . . . Here Christianity has progressed in its purity. . . . But the enemy of all righteousness has designs upon God’s purpose for this country. He will bring in enterprises that will lead men to forget that there is a God. Worldliness and covetousness, which is idolatry, will prevail through the working of the archdeceiver, till the law of God, in all its bearings, shall be made void.” (Maranatha 193)
• James Warren: “[Roger] Williams disavowed the Puritan’s cherished belief that their Holy Commonwealths were in a special covenant with God. There was no ‘chosen nation’ in the seventeenth century, nor had there been once since Moses’ Israel. Williams believed . . . that ‘since the coming of Christ the only way God had contracted with men . . . was through the churches of Christ. . . . Nobody of men who now employed force in defense of religion, whether at home or abroad, could claim the name Christian.’” (God, War and Providence 70-71)
• America is a Christian nation.
• Martin Luther King, Jr: “The church must be reminded that it is not the master or the servant of the state, but rather the of the state.”
• Jonathan Walton: “‘Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness’ are promised by America and God. But they are not the same in origin, practice, or motive. The goals and intentions of the Declaration of Independence sit in opposition to the gospel of Christ. The totality of Scripture does not endorse the marriage of God and country or the establishment, development, or practices of any country in the name of Jesus.” (Twelve Lies That Hold America Captive: And the Truth That Sets Us Free 18)
»So what hope is there for this nation?
•Revelation 14:6-7—”And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, having an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people; and he said with a loud voice, ‘Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters.’”
• Facebook now offers gender options: “Last year we were proud to add a custom gender option to help people better express their identities on Facebook. We collaborated with our Network of Support, a group of leading LGBT advocacy organizations, to offer an extensive list of gender identities that many people use to describe themselves. After a year of offering this feature, we have expanded it to include a free-form field. Now, if you do not identify with the pre-populated list of gender identities, you are able to add your own.” (www.facebook.com/facebookdiversity/posts/last-year-we-were-proud-to-add-a-custom-gender-option-to-help-people-better-expr/774221582674346/)
• Jesus is America’s last great hope.
• Acts 4:12—”’Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved [than the name of Jesus].”
• John 4:42—”They said to the woman, ‘We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this Man really is the Savior of the world.’”
• Jon Meacham: “‘A bold President who knew himself to be supported by a majority in the country, might be tempted to override the law, and deprive the minority of the protection which the law affords it,’ [James] Bryce wrote. ‘He might be a tyrant, not against the masses, but with the masses.’” (The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels 271)
• America’s thought leaders need Liberty.
God save America—and let me help You!
Adventist Community Services
People come in all shapes and sizes, and so do their needs. Adventist Community Services offers diverse services tailored to fit the needs of the vulnerable in their community.
David walked into Joseph’s Storehouse Food Pantry, an ACS center in Oklahoma. The staff soon learned that he had recently been released from prison and was saving money to rent an apartment. At the time, he was living in a tent near a creek just outside of town and had no way to cook. David chose food that was ready to eat out of the package.
Realizing that more was needed, a volunteer invited him back the next day to pick up cooking items. The volunteer went shopping for items they didn’t already have at the center and soon, David received a small cook stove, fuel, can opener, and cookware when he returned. ACS continues to assist David with food when he runs low, and prays for his safety and for God’s continued presence.
Whether giving food and cooking gear, dental care, clothing, after school tutoring, or English language skills, your ACS offering paves a pathway forward for somebody in need.
Ellen White shared, “The Savior mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, ‘Follow Me’” (Ministry of Healing, p. 143).
Adventist Community Service’s ministries mingle in our communities, bringing Jesus’ goodwill to the people. Join us and become the practical hands and feet of God in our world.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Our annual Christmas breakfast potluck will be on December 23, 2023, from 9:00 - 10:15 AM at the Commons. Bring your favorite breakfast to share.
A-J - breakfast casserole or hot/cold cereal
K-R - bread, muffin, or pastries
S-Z - fruits
Pioneer will provide hot and cold drinks and nuts.
Pioneer Young Adult Ministries is hosting Soup for Students. All Collegiate-aged individuals are welcomed to attend and enjoy soup and a touch of home while studying for finals. Volunteers can contact Prescott Khair (firstname.lastname@example.org) or text SOUP to 269-281-2345.
Jesus said, "When I was in prison, you visited Me." If you have a heart for reaching out to a lonely person in need of encouragement while incarcerated, have I got a person for you! Please contact Sue Wein (email@example.com). I will give you the details and help you in connecting with her.
In just a few weeks, on December 9, we will be having our annual Children’s Celebration of Christmas. This is the worship service every year where we bring a new unwrapped toy for a child up to age 16. These gifts will go to families in our community who are not able to purchase gifts. This is yet another way that Pioneer can be Love on the Move!
It is time to join the 4th Annual "First Advent Reflections". This Christmas season the Pioneer Women’s Ministries Team is delighted to invite you to reflect on Handel's "Messiah".
A daily email and a text will be sent to the ladies who sign-up. To register text the word "Hallelujah" to 269-281-2345
Would you like to show "Love on the Move" to foster, adoptive, kinship families in our community? This is your invitation to join God's Hands 4 Kids in doing just that. Could you make a pan of lasagna for GH4K's Connect Support Group Christmas Celebration on December 8 delivering ready to serve. For details and to sign up go to our website GH4K.org There will be more opportunities to give shared there. Godshands4kids@gmail.com
The award-winning Andrews University Singers and Chorale conducted by Stephen Zork collaborate with the Andrews University Symphony Orchestra conducted by Marc Élysée in the 25th annual presentation of Welcome Christmas. The theme of the concert is “Peace on Earth” and comprised of a festive garland of heartwarming and endearing sacred and secular symphonic choral works and carols. The variety of musical offerings encompass Giacomo Puccini’s “Gloria” to Harry Simeon’s choral setting of “’Twas the Night Before Christmas”. Join us for this special concert featuring special guest soloists and presenters.
The Christmas Banquet for Seniors comes this year on Sunday, the 10th of December, at 1:00 PM at the Village Church Fellowship Hall. This year, Village Church is responsible for decorating the tables, the meal, and the program. (Next year it will be PMC's turn.) The cost of the meal is $20 for everyone. However, PMC and Village Church will pay for all attending Senior members of their respective churches. All other Senior members will need to pay at the door. If you have not yet signed up for the Christmas Banquet, please call either the Village SDA Church at 269-471-7795 OR Pioneer Memorial Church at 269-471-3133 OR Cleon White at 269-471-5553 by December 5.