Out of His deep love for humanity, God changes our lives and asks us to move His love into our community and world. We are uniquely positioned at Andrews University to share the story of God’s love from the residence halls to the farthest parts of the earth. We accomplish our mission by engaging people across generations to be disciples of Jesus through the process of Connect. Grow. Serve. Go.
Your financial gift helps support ministry here at Pioneer. From local to global ministry, keeping our facility safe and clean, to outreach and family growth activities, it all provides a space to worship, learn, and grow together. We invite you to Give Purposefully, Give Faithfully, and Give Joyfully.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Consumer debt last year (auto loans, student loans, personal loans, credit cards/not mortgages) hit a new high—just over $ .
•(How much is a trillion dollars? If you spent one dollar per second, in a day you would spend $86,400. Over the course of a year, your spending would come to more than $31.5 million. At that rate of spending, it would take you over years to spend one trillion dollars.)
• Consumer spending in the U.S. (food, gas, clothing, mortgages, electronics) last year set a new record: $ .
• Joshua Becker, “Becoming Minimalist” blog: “The numbers paint a jarring picture of excessive consumption and unnecessary accumulation. Fortunately, the solution is not difficult. The invitation to own less is an invitation to freedom, intentionality, and passion. And it can be discovered at your nearest drop-off center.” (https://www.becomingminimalist.com/clutter-stats/)
• Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Earthly gifts are given to be used, not to be . . . . [T]he disciple must receive his portion from God every day. If he stores it up as a permanent possession, he spoils not only the gift, but as well, for he sets his heart on his accumulated wealth, and makes it a barrier between himself and God. Where our treasure is, there is our trust, our security, our consolation and our God. is idolatry.” (Cost of Discipleship 194)
»#1 Life Principle—Make God .
• Matthew 6:33
• Father Abraham—“Then Abram gave him [the priest Melchizedek] a tenth of everything.” (Genesis 14:20)
• Grandson Jacob—“‘And of all that You give me I will give You a tenth.’” (Genesis 28:22)
• Lord Jesus—“‘This you ought to have done [tithing], without leaving the other undone [loving].’” (Matthew 23:23)
• Malachi 3:10-12, 8-9
• “O God, I make You my C-suite Lord!”
• Desire of Ages: “Satan has represented God as selfish and oppressive, as claiming all, and giving nothing, as requiring the service of His creatures for His own glory, and making no sacrifice for their good. But the gift of Christ reveals the Father’s heart. . . . Having undertaken our redemption, He will spare nothing, however dear, which is necessary to the completion of His work. . . . Favor is heaped upon favor, gift upon gift. The treasury of heaven is open to those He seeks to save. Having collected the riches of the universe, and laid open the resources of infinite power, He gives them all into the hands of Christ, and says, All these are for man. Use these gifts to convince him that there is no love greater than Mine in earth or heaven. His greatest happiness will be found in loving Me.” (57)
Make God First
Lead or Join a Grow Group
It's a fresh new year, and it's time for a fresh new Grow Groups season! Grow Groups are Pioneer's small groups that incorporate 5 S's: Shared interest, Spiritual touchpoint, Service project, Social event, Semester-based. That's it, in a nutshell! Grow Groups are for EVERYONE—all welcome to join.
Leaders, if you are passionate about something and want to use that to foster community and lead others to Jesus, we can probably help you turn that passion into a Grow Group! Let us know as soon as possible because the deadline to sign up to lead a group is January 21. For more information please email email@example.com or visit pmchurch.org/grow to sign up.
Dates to Keep in Mind:
Digital Group Leader Registration Deadline: January 21
Leader Orientation (via Zoom): February 1, 7:00 PM
It is almost time for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. Pioneer knows that you have had an unusual year and wants to make it easy for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. This time around, you will receive your Contribution Statement easily and conveniently via email. If you have not recently updated your contact details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your current email address to ensure that you receive your statement. Thank you!
Adventist active-duty military personnel are eligible to receive a free devotional book, courtesy of the National Service Organization and Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries. Single service members, as well as other employee categories, may choose one free devotional. Married service members may choose two devotional books. You may order these online in your personal profile here at AdventistsonUniform.org. There will be more information about the profile next week.
Our National Service Organization, a subsidiary of Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries offers a free devotional book annually.
To be eligible for NSO-sponsored complimentary devotional books, you must be a Seventh-day Adventist Church member in an Adventist church in the North American Division and in one of the following military-related categories:
All North American Division members who are active-duty military stationed overseas for a year or longer
DoD civilian employee of the military services stationed overseas
DoDEA teacher or principal stationed overseas
Military exchanges (AAFES, NEX, etc.) worker overseas
Government contractor overseas
A spouse living overseas with their non-Adventist military spouse
Keep our service people in prayer. They face some difficult decisions and endure hardships daily and need God's wisdom and protection. Have you any military family members or friends that we can include in our prayers? Send their names to email@example.com.