Out of His deep love for humanity, God changes our lives and asks us to move His love into our community and world. We are uniquely positioned at Andrews University to share the story of God’s love from the residence halls to the farthest parts of the earth. We accomplish our mission by engaging people across generations to be disciples of Jesus through the process of Connect. Grow. Serve. Go.
Your financial gift helps support ministry here at Pioneer. From local to global ministry, keeping our facility safe and clean, to outreach and family growth activities, it all provides a space to worship, learn, and grow together. We invite you to Give Purposefully, Give Faithfully, and Give Joyfully.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Consumer debt last year (auto loans, student loans, personal loans, credit cards/not mortgages) hit a new high—just over $ .
•(How much is a trillion dollars? If you spent one dollar per second, in a day you would spend $86,400. Over the course of a year, your spending would come to more than $31.5 million. At that rate of spending, it would take you over years to spend one trillion dollars.)
• Consumer spending in the U.S. (food, gas, clothing, mortgages, electronics) last year set a new record: $ .
• Joshua Becker, “Becoming Minimalist” blog: “The numbers paint a jarring picture of excessive consumption and unnecessary accumulation. Fortunately, the solution is not difficult. The invitation to own less is an invitation to freedom, intentionality, and passion. And it can be discovered at your nearest drop-off center.” (https://www.becomingminimalist.com/clutter-stats/)
• Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Earthly gifts are given to be used, not to be . . . . [T]he disciple must receive his portion from God every day. If he stores it up as a permanent possession, he spoils not only the gift, but as well, for he sets his heart on his accumulated wealth, and makes it a barrier between himself and God. Where our treasure is, there is our trust, our security, our consolation and our God. is idolatry.” (Cost of Discipleship 194)
»#1 Life Principle—Make God .
• Matthew 6:33
• Father Abraham—“Then Abram gave him [the priest Melchizedek] a tenth of everything.” (Genesis 14:20)
• Grandson Jacob—“‘And of all that You give me I will give You a tenth.’” (Genesis 28:22)
• Lord Jesus—“‘This you ought to have done [tithing], without leaving the other undone [loving].’” (Matthew 23:23)
• Malachi 3:10-12, 8-9
• “O God, I make You my C-suite Lord!”
• Desire of Ages: “Satan has represented God as selfish and oppressive, as claiming all, and giving nothing, as requiring the service of His creatures for His own glory, and making no sacrifice for their good. But the gift of Christ reveals the Father’s heart. . . . Having undertaken our redemption, He will spare nothing, however dear, which is necessary to the completion of His work. . . . Favor is heaped upon favor, gift upon gift. The treasury of heaven is open to those He seeks to save. Having collected the riches of the universe, and laid open the resources of infinite power, He gives them all into the hands of Christ, and says, All these are for man. Use these gifts to convince him that there is no love greater than Mine in earth or heaven. His greatest happiness will be found in loving Me.” (57)
Make God First
ASAP Ministries 25th Anniversary Celebration
ASAP Ministries invites you to "God's Legacy of Love," a special event celebrating 25 years of mission starting on Friday October 23. For more information regarding speakers, the location, program scheduling, and Zoom and livestreaming options, visit:
asapministries.org or call 269-471-3026.
AMEN Virtual Conference
Does your heartbeat with a desire to share Christ? Do you wish you felt more comfortable and knew how to share Christ effectively with your patients? The AMEN Conference is for you!
If you desire to have a deeper relationship with Christ so that you can be even more effective in leading your patients to reach out in faith to the Christ that you love so deeply, be sure to attend the 2020 AMEN Conference, “Touch of Faith” brought to you virtually October 29 – November 1, 2020.
Speakers include: Pastors Ted Wilson, Mark Finley, & Kameron DeVasher; Dentists Carlos Moretta and Milan Moskala; Physicians Zeno Charles-Marcel, Roger Seheult, Andi Hunsaker, Brian Schwartz, and many others.
All physicians, dentists, healthcare professionals, and pastors are encouraged to attend. There will also be a special session for medical & dental students on Friday evening.
The Pioneer Youth will now meet weekly in the Youth Chapel, and the Earliteens will meet in the Teen Loft.
Speech & Hearing Clinic
The Andres University Speech & Hearing Clinic is now offering comprehensive hearing evaluations at the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders.These appointments are open for all ages, those on campus, and all community as well. If you have concerns regarding your hearing or are willing to give an hour of your time so that our students can practice their testing skills, please contact our department to schedule your screening at 269-471-3468 or email email@example.com. A licensed audiologist will supervise all testing.
Fall 2020 Schedule (begins September 28)
Mondays at 2:30 PM
Tuesdays at 1:00 and 2:15 PM
Wednesdays at 12:45 and 2:00 PM
At this time there is no charge for the hearing evaluation, however, a donation of $25 is encouraged.
The Center for Faith Engagement and the PMC Youth Ministries are hosting a purse drive for homeless women in Berrien County. On November 12, the students on campus will fill the bags with health and beauty products and will donate them to Paris’ Purse Inc.,
a non-profit that seeks to empower homeless women by providing them with these purses. So please, if you have a handbag that you no longer use or need, we would love to put it to great use. You will find boxes in the lobbies where you can drop them off. Please drop them off by November 1.
Pioneer on Vimeo
Did you know that Pioneer video archives are all availale online through a Vimeo account? Pioneer uses Vimeo to post more than just sermons including announcements and special features. Start watching today at https://vimeo.com/pmchurch.
Pioneer's Bible Journey Sabbath School class will be using the Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God (Study Guide) next quarter, beginning October 3. If you have always wanted to read this book, which has changed so many lives, you are welcome to
join us by Zoom. The class meets each Sabbath from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. The 270-page study guide, which is conveniently divided into 12 weekly lessons, can be purchased at Amazon.com for $15.99. For more information and to receive the Zoom link each week, please contact Jane Thayer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make a Difference as an Online Chat Host
Are you friendly and do you enjoy social media? Then, we have a great opportunity for you to be involved in ministry. Through streaming its services on Facebook Live and our website, Pioneer Memorial Church reaches thousands of people every single week. We’re looking to build a new team of local moderators/hosts for our online chat experiences. You could do this from your home. For more information contact Rodlie Ortiz at email@example.com.
Love on the Move
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."