Dr. Brian Strayer, Emeritus Professor of History at Andrews University, will take a look at the life of the Adventist pioneer, Hiram Edson, who introduced the "Sanctuary Doctrine" to Adventists. The presentation will provide a synopsis of Dr. Strayer's new book by the same title as the talk. All are invited to attend this event on Sabbath, September 30, at 3:30 PM in Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall, Campus.
How to Survive the Coming Economic Crisis
If I Were a Rich Man
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“How to Survive the Coming Economic Crisis:
If I Were a Rich Man”
»3 Short Stories
• Luke 12:13-21
• Headline: “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of . Life does not consist in an of possessions.” (v 15)
• “Another [happiness] factor is what positive psychologists refer to as the ‘ [pleasure-seeking] treadmill.’ Through the same process of habituation [decrease in our response to a stimulus after being repeatedly exposed to it], the happiness associated with a new purchase, a new job, or a new house soon fades. Trying to recapture and retain feelings of excitement and happiness results in the pursuit of more new things, which becomes a never-ending task, like being on a continuous treadmill.” (www.happify.com/hd/can-money-ever-buy-you-happiness/)
• Tagline: “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for but is not toward God.” (v 21)
• Investopedia: “According to the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2018, the top percent of adults account for more than 47 percent of household wealth globally. This raises an interesting question: Who exactly are the percent worldwide? The surprising answer: If you’re an American, you don’t have to even be close to being uber-rich to make the list. . . . An income of $ a year will allow you to make the cut. . . . So if you’re an accountant, a registered nurse or even an elementary school teacher, congratulations. The average wage for any of these careers falls well within the top percent worldwide.” (www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050615/are-you-top-one-pe...)
•Punchline: When you combine the headline to Jesus’ parable with the tagline of His parable, you very quickly come to His punchline: !
• Ed Gungor: “ touches a nerve in us that nothing else does. We look a lot like God when we do it [John 3:16]. When you , you defy the fear that you won’t have enough. You insult , the impulse to acquire or possess more than one needs or deserves. If you really believe that God owns it all and that he is your source and provider, will be a simple matter. . . . The arena of is the only place where exactly what’s going on in your heart is revealed. According to Jesus, keeps your heart in motion toward God and away from material things. . . . Your heart will follow the direction of your .” (Religiously Transmitted Diseases)
• Luke 12:32-34.
• Ellen White: “Let us surrender ourselves a living sacrifice, and our all to Jesus. It is His; we are His purchased possession. Those who are recipients of His grace, who contemplate the cross of Calvary, will not question concerning the proportion to be given, but will feel that the richest offering is all too meager, all disproportionate to the great of the only-begotten Son of the infinite God. Through self-denial, the poorest will find ways of obtaining something to to God.” (RH July 14, 1896)
• Be rich toward the God who’s been rich toward you.
"Be rich toward God"
Fall Grow Groups are beginning, and we need you! Join online at pmchurch.org/grow and enjoy meeting with others who share your interests. (There will not be a printed brochure this fall.)
Alumni Homecoming Weekend is happening this week! Highlights of the weekend include the Golf Tournament (players still welcome!), the Classic Car Show (in a more convenient location at the HPAC parking lot this year), and the Homecoming Parade. Andy’s Eats, AU's fun new Food Truck, will be on site so you can enjoy a snack or a meal (no cash; card only). After the International Flag Raising Ceremony Friday at 6:30 choose from a variety of Vespers programs.
Sabbath afternoon many departments and museums will be open. Then on Sunday come join the fun for the Bradley Family 5K/10K Harvest Run - a fun way to run or walk to support a healthy lifestyle. For more information and the full weekend schedule, visit alumni.andrews.edu/homecoming.
Come One, Come All--who are at least 55 years of age and desire to listen to an inspiring program and eat a delicious potluck on Sunday, October 8, at 1:00 PM at the Village Church Fellowship Hall. Dr. Brian Strayer will have a powerful presentation entitled "Romans were known for their Aqueducts." Come prepared to pay your dues, if you didn't already, and contribute to the donation jar so that we can have many more interesting programs in the future.
The Evergreens Pathfinder Club will hold its annual fruit fundraiser where you'll have the opportunity to support our club by purchasing fresh fruits such as oranges, apples, pears, and other dried products. This year, the fundraiser will run from September 25th through November 10th. Stay tuned for details in the coming weeks! Thank you for supporting the PMC Evergreens!
Michigan Women's Ministries is hosting two events in October. The first is our Mother/Daughter Weekend October 13-15 at Camp Au Sable in Grayling, Michigan. The guest speakers will be Nancy Hansen and her daughter, Adele. The second event is our One-Day Getaway on October 21. This year the Getaway will be held just up the road at The Mendel Center at Lake Michigan College in Benton Harbor! The guest speaker is Donna Willey. For more information about the events and speakers, as well as to register, visit michiganwm.com. We look forward to seeing you at one or both of these events!
"Akram & Gladys Yaqub, a Husband Wife couple, have taken on the difficult role of Principal & Vice Principal, trying to turn things around at South Bend Junior Academy, 1910 Altgeld St, South Bend, IN 46614
They are looking for a volunteer Wood Worker for Fridays, 2-3 hours. Top notch Shop, all equipment like new, neat, and tidy. Just needs an able instructor! They are also looking for a volunteer Auto Mechanic.
Recently purchased $6000 3D printer with a Laser Engraver in acquisition process.
"Please contact, Akram at 269-362-2357, If you wish to donate your time and expertise."
Pioneer Women’s Ministries is hosting an "End of Time Life Kit" presentation by Pastor Celesta Babb. This timely presentation will be held on Sabbath (Saturday), October 7, 2023, at 4:00 PM, in the PMC Commons. Check-in begins at 3:30 PM. We will start
promptly at 4:00 PM. What guidance does God give us about being mentally, emotionally and spiritually ready for the end of time? During our afternoon sessions we will look at what it looks like to be ready for Jesus’ second coming as well as how to process our emotions connected to living in the last days. Vegetarian, vegan, & gluten-free salad, soup, and bread will be served. Registration is important for planning the food. To register text the word “PREPARED” to 269-281-2345. Registration deadline: October 5, 2023. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The “Wholistic Healing: Challenges and Opportunities for the Church” conference addresses fundamental health and healing issues the church is facing today, like mental, emotional, social and family health, and much more. Therefore, while God is constantly working to heal people on the deepest level, His healing power calls the church to wholeness in our brokenness.
Heritage Singers is a non-profit gospel music ministry based in California with a goal to bring people closer to Jesus through praising Him through music. When founders Max and Lucy Mace began this ministry, they never thought they would still be doing this 51 years later. The Heritage Singers have had the opportunity to travel to over 80 different countries, travel over two million miles, and perform over 7,000 concerts. Max Mace believed that, “If there ever was a time to share the Good News about Jesus, it’s now.”