A DIY Guide
A DIY Guide How to Be Healthier and Live a Whole Lot Longer
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"A DIY Guide How to Be Healthier and Live a Whole Lot Longer"
» John 10:10
» 8 Lessons for a Long Healthy Life
• #1—"Take : The Seventh-day Adventists take a weekly break (24 hours [the Sabbath] from daily life to focus on family, God, friends, and nature. They believe this relieves their stress, strengthens their social communities, and provides healthful, consistent exercise."
- Exodus 20:11—"For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."
- Exodus 31:17—". . . and on the seventh day he rested and was ."
• #2—"Maintain a Healthy Body Mass Index (BMI): A low BMI is normally associated with lower blood pressure, blood cholesterol and incidence of cardiovascular disease. Eating a whole food, plant-based diet is the easiest and best way to keep your BMI down."
- Genesis 1:29-30—"Then God said, ‘I give you every seed-bearing on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has with seed in it. They will be yours for food. . . . [To] everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every plant for food."
• #3—"Get Regular, Moderate : The good news is that you do not have to run a marathon! Routine, low-intensity physical activity like a daily walk is enough to reduce your chance of cancer and heart disease."
• #4—"Spend Time with : A supportive, like-minded community is an important component of healthful living."
- John 13:35—"By this everyone will know you are my disciples, if you love one another."
- National Institute of Health: "These findings [from 148 studies] indicate that the influence of social relationships on the risk of death are comparable with well-established risk factors for mortality such as smoking and alcohol consumption and exceed the influence of other risk factors such as physical inactivity and obesity." (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2910600/)
• #5—"Give : Giving back ensures you have a sense of purpose. When you focus on others, you are happier and less depressed."
- Luke 6:38—"Give and it will be given to you."
• #6—"Eat an Early, Light : A lighter meal at the end of the day will promote better sleep and a lower BMI."
- Lindsay Stokes MD: "In other words, short periods of fasting or stress result in healthier, more enlivened organisms. Fasting [going without food] makes [ourselves] stronger because their focus turns to sacrificing their broken pieces and regenerating the components that really matter." (Christianity Today Jan-Feb, 2017)
• #7—"Drink Lots of : The men in the study who drank 5-6 glasses of water daily reduced their risk of a fatal heart attack by 60-70 percent, compared to those who drank considerably less."
• #8—"Eat a Mostly -Based Diet: Nonsmoking Adventists who ate two or more servings of fruit daily had 70 percent fewer lung cancers than nonsmokers who only ate fruit once or twice a week. Likewise, Adventists who consumed legumes (peas, beans) three times a week had a 30-40 percent reduction in colon cancer. Lastly, Adventists women who ate tomatoes at least three to four times a week reduced their chance of getting ovarian cancer by 70 percent, compared to those who ate tomatoes less often." (Rosane Oliveira—www.ucdintegrativemedicine.com/2017/05/living-long-loma-linda/#gs.7ajbbe)
» Ministry of Healing
• Ellen White: "Know what it is to be free in Christ. . . . Meditate day and night upon His character. Then you will see His beauty and rejoice in His goodness. Your heart will glow with a sense of His love. You will be uplifted as if borne by everlasting arms. With the power and light that God imparts, you can comprehend more and accomplish more than you ever before deemed possible." (514)
“I Have Come that You May Have Life”