On Sunday, March 24, the Niles Westside Adventist Church (110 N. Fairview Ave, Niles, MI 49120) is inviting all widows/widowers to a 1:00 PM potluck in the Adventist school building across the parking lot. Come enjoy a Spring outing! Bring a favorite vegetarian dish to pass and relax among old and new friends.
A DIY Guide
A DIY Guide to Better Sexual Health: Taming Your Tiger
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“A DIY Guide to Better Sexual Health: Taming Your Tiger”
» THE TIGER
• 64% of young people, ages 13–24, actively seek out pornography weekly or more often.
• A study of 14- to 19-year-olds found that females who consumed pornographic videos were at a significantly greater likelihood of being victims of sexual harassment or sexual assault.
• A Swedish study of 18-year-old males found that frequent consumers of pornography were significantly more likely to have sold and bought sex than other boys of the same age.
• A 2015 meta-analysis of 22 studies from seven countries found that internationally the consumption of pornography was significantly associated with increases in verbal and physical aggression, among males and females alike.
• Porn sites receive more regular traffic than Netflix, Amazon, & Twitter combined each month.
• 35% of all internet downloads are porn-related.
• The “teen” porn category has topped porn site searches for the last six years.
• At least 30% of all data transferred across the internet is porn-related.
• Recorded child sexual exploitation (known as “child porn”) is one of the fastest-growing online businesses.
• 624,000+ child porn traders have been discovered online in the U.S.
• Porn is a global, estimated $97 billion industry, with about $12 billion of that coming from the U.S.
• In 2018 alone, more than 5,517,000,000 hours of porn were consumed on the world’s largest porn site.
• The world’s largest free porn site also received over 33,500,000,000 site visits during 2018 alone.
• National Center on Sexual Exploitation (www.endsexualexploitation.org/wp-content/uploads/NCOSE_Pornography-PublicHealth_ResearchSummary_8-2_17_FINAL-with-logo.pdf)
• Denny Burk: “A growing number of young men are convinced that their sexual responses have been sabotaged because their brains were virtually marinated in porn when they were adolescents. Their generation has consumed explicit content in
quantities and varieties never before possible, on devices designed to deliver content swiftly and privately, all at an age when their brains were more plastic—more prone to permanent change—than in later life.” (in Meet Generation Z 61)
» THE TAMING
• Luke 5:17-20
• Desire of Ages: “Oh, wondrous love of Christ, stooping to heal the guilty and the afflicted! Divinity sorrowing over and soothing the ills of suffering humanity! Oh, marvelous power thus displayed to the children of men! Who can doubt the message of salvation? Who can slight the mercies of a compassionate Redeemer?” (269)
Five Steps (Maybe Six) to Overcoming Pornographic Addiction*
» Admit your .
• To yourself for honesty—Romans 7:14-15
• To God for help—2 Chronicles 20:12
» Confess your .
• To Jesus for cleansing—1 John 1:7
• To someone else for accountability—James 5:16**
» Surrender your and .
• To the Holy Spirit—1 Corinthians 6:18-20
• To the Lord—Joshua 24:15
» Worship your .
• Daily through prayer—Daniel 6:10/Psalm 55:17
• Daily through His Word—Joshua 1:7-8/Psalm 119:9-11
» Consecrate your .
• Take up your cross—Mark 8:34-35
• Obey His commands—Luke 19:13
» Turn in your .
• Jesus’ radical counsel—Matthew 5:29-30
• The Father’s radical warning—Revelation 21:6-8
*For further study/reflection:
** ADVENTIST RECOVERY MINISTRIES: The Journey to Wholeness (firstname.lastname@example.org)/GROW Groups: “Sexual Purity for Men” & “Conquer”
“Friend, your sins are forgiven”
If you're the type of person who enjoys helping others, Pioneer Women's Ministries has the perfect opportunity for you to be a blessing! On Sunday, March 24 from 2-4PM, bring your friends and join us in the Commons as Laura Meyer (Neighbor-to-Neighbor), Llona Chapman (PMC Visiting Ministry), and Carol Jordan (God's Hands for Kids) share ways we can be the hands, feet, and heart of Jesus in our community. In order for us to know how much pizza and salad to provide, please register in advance by sending the word "SERVE" to 269-281-2345. Hope to see you then!
On March 9, at 8 PM, four young and talented student-conductors will lead the Andrews University Symphony Orchestra in the Howard Performing Arts Center. They will present an exciting and beautiful program featuring works by Rossini, Strauss, and Dvorak. Join us in supporting these young leaders while enjoying an evening of great music!
Dr. Ray Mayor was an active member in the Michigan conference for more than 50 years, and an elder at PMC during the years he resided in Berrien Springs. He died on November 28,2023 in Walla Walla, Washington. The Michigan memorial service is Sabbath March 2, 2024 at 4:30 PM in the Seminary Chapel at Andrew’s University.
Pioneer Women's Ministries is again happy to share Easter Reflections. This year the text and email devotionals will focus on hymns celebrating our Lord's Second Coming. To receive the text "teasers" and emails, text the word "SOON" to 269-281-2345.
There will be a fellowship dinner, following the second worship service in the commons on the lower level.
Pioneer Operating Budget
When Joshua began leading the Israelites, there was likely a lot of uncertainty around how things would go. Moses had spent years leading the children of God through the wilderness and through many miraculous events! In Joshua 1, we can see that God calls Joshua to be both “strong and courageous” (Joshua 1:6, NIV) in a transition of leadership that surely may have felt overwhelming to Joshua at times.
And yet, God walked with Joshua through the ups and the downs of his journey as a leader. Joshua proved to be a faithful steward of what God gave him. God gave him the task of leadership, and Joshua leaned on God to see that through. The beautiful thing about Joshua’s story is that God did not just give Joshua an enormous task – God took it upon Himself to provide Joshua with the wisdom to be the leader that Israel needed at that moment.
We too have been given the privilege of supporting the work of God at a local level. Our offering today will go to support our local church budget. The ministries of the local church are the heartbeat of the gospel spreading in our community. As we collect our offering today, consider how you can best steward all of the resources that God has blessed you with!
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
NEXT ASM POTLUCK--Find out about the event that won't happen again for 20 years! The regular ASM (Adventist Seniors of Michiana) program will feature Dr. Tom Shepherd in his presentation: "Secrets of the Upcoming Solar Eclipse." Bring your favorite
food to the potluck, along with your friends, to view this exciting topic at the Village SDA Fellowship Hall on March 10 at 1:00 p.m. If you need further information, call Cleon White (269) 471-5553.
Hugs and Bugs, Work and Worship - The Honduras Mission Trip During the New Years’ break, our eleven Pioneer Youth Mission volunteers served at the Hogar de Niños (children’s home) conducting a day camp for about 75-90 children from the Hogar and the local community. The camp, directed by Scott Schalk, provided Bible class, music, crafts, health and sports activities each day. Afternoons and evenings were spent with the children at the Hogar de Niños operated by REACH International. Additionally the team conducted worships each evening and on Sabbaths. Thanks to generous donations to Pioneer Youth Missions we were able to provide 65 families with food for an entire month. Glenn Russell described the team’s experience: “Pioneer Youth Missions teams have been coming to this special place in Honduras for 25 years. Our lives are blessed by the hugs, prayers, laughter and worship together with these precious children. And we are inspired by the dedicated staff at the home. It was a privilege to support and assist in their service for God.”
Glenn Russell, Pioneer Youth Missions director
Scott Schalk, Pioneer Friendship Camp director
Students who will be in the 1st - 8th grades next school year are invited to visit Ruth Murdoch Elementary School on March 5. Make friends, meet teachers and have fun! Grades 1-6 will visit 8:15-11:30 AM and Grades 7-8 will visit 8:15-3:30 PM. Please call 269-471-3225 to register